【3】 - Secrets Laced with Venom

╒══════╕

︶︶︶︶

【3】

Secrets Laced with Venom

︶︶︶︶

╘══════╛

It didn't take long for Aurora to find the culprit again– or, more accurately, for him to find her. She had barely made it to the first floor when she was intercepted at the end of the stairway, where he'd been waiting.

"Oh, good! You came! For a second there, I thought you'd gotten lost."

"Wouldn't dream of it." Aurora responded bluntly. Her focus shifted towards his mask, contemplating ways to get it off so their conversation would end quickly. "You know, I didn't catch your name."

"Oh, changing subject, are we? I'm flattered, but I believe you promised me a dance."

I didn't promise SHIT.

"Come on, I'll teach you," he extended an offering hand. "I guarantee you'll have the time of your life with me, you'll see."

Aurora mentally cursed.

Out of everything I've done for this job, this has GOT to be the most ridiculous.

Though, Aurora realized it wasn't too horrible of an idea. She couldn't just tear his mask off right then and there; he would likely catch on to her goal, and that would put her and team in danger if he truly was a criminal. Aurora could use a dance as a cover-up; she could pretend to slip up, "accidentally" knocking his mask off in the process.

But that certainly didn't mean Aurora was going to pretend to like it. There was no value high enough someone could pay her to get her to willingly dance with him.

Aurora ignored his outstretched hand, choosing to disregard it.

"Fine." She replied curtly.

"Damn, you really are stubborn," he lowered his hand, but his demeanor didn't change in the slightest. "But I like that. You'll end up liking me by the end of the night, too, I'm sure."

I highly doubt that, Mr. Delusional.

Aurora said nothing as he led her through the crowds and towards the ballroom. They stopped in an open space in the center of the floor, surrounded by other chattering partygoers. The orchestra shifted to a new song with a much slower tempo– most likely a song reserved for dances between couples. Aurora had to force away a scowl as the culprit held out his hand again; this time, she had to take it.

"Don't worry. We'll take things slow." He grinned.

He directed her to move, just as he'd insisted. They circled around each other slowly, their arms locked. They changed direction as the music went on, switching between faster and slower speeds.

Aurora watched him intently, trying to match his movements as best as possible. She hoped her genuine inexperience made her seem clueless– that way, he wouldn't see her as an obvious opponent.

"See, you're getting it," he complimented. "You'll be nearly as good as me by the end of this."

"I take it you dance often?" Aurora changed the subject, her eyes fixated on his mask.

"More times than you could probably count." He hummed as they twirled around each other. "Not enough people appreciate this form of music."

"I'm glad we were able to use it for this occasion." His smile raised into a smirk. "I was one of the few who planned this event, actually."