【5】 - Into the Snake's Den

╒══════╕

︶︶︶︶

【5】

Into the Snake's Den

︶︶︶︶

╘══════╛

content warning: firearm use

Aurora met the icy gaze of her enemy, staring him down with narrowed eyes.

She was completely surrounded by the six now, her only escape being the door directly behind the serpentine.

Fortunately, Aurora's luck hadn't run its course entirely just yet; her mask had somehow remained intact, even after she'd fallen previously. Her identity was still protected.

Yet she didn't have the upper hand, either. She was sure the group had set off a connection scrambler in the room, rendering her communicator and hidden camera to nothing but static. Aurora knew Gold had taken notice of the development the second it had occurred, meaning her friends would likely be searching for her soon.

All she needed was a little more time.

Aurora's muscles tensed for action, yet she didn't dare to make a move from where she was standing. The serpentine appeared to have the same thought, their thinning pupils trained on her.

There was just a few paces of distance in between them, but the five didn't attempt to close the gap yet. Their eyes repeatedly glanced over to their leader, as though waiting on a command.

Aurora had to give it to him: he'd certainly taken her by surprise. The culprit was far from what she'd expected; looking at him now, Aurora was able to see the features that were once shrouded by his mask.

She came to two, distinct realizations the second she was cornered.

One, he was likely around the same age as she was after all. The dim lighting made it hard to tell, but Aurora was sure that he couldn't have been much older than she was. However, the serpentine that flanked him appeared to be a number of different ages in comparison, and yet they still seemed to willingly listen to him.

Though, Aurora's second realization clarified the reason for that.

The culprit wasn't fully human.

Aurora had been right to question his strange features before. The green color present along his cheeks hadn't been her imagination– it was scales.

That, paired with the obvious, fang-like teeth and slitted pupils, led Aurora to conclude that he'd been bitten by a fangpyre– most likely the very same fangpyre that was standing directly behind him.

"So that's how you got the scar?" Aurora broke the tense silence, crossing her arms. "A fang graze?"

The serpentine hissed in unison at her words, yet the culprit shortly raised a hand to silence them.

"You have a lot of guts for someone who's cornered." He scoffed a laugh. "But don't change the subject now. We're just getting started!"

"I mean, just imagine my reaction when I saw you!" He pressed on. "You, some lady, a part of the organization who has taken down hundreds of my business partners?"

Aurora's muscles tensed at his knowledge. Evidently, she'd drastically underestimated him after all.

Even so, she refused to give up now. She just needed to drag the conversation on until her friends got to her. The culprit was merely celebrating an early victory.