【6】 - An Untimely Realization

╒══════╕

︶︶︶︶

【6】

An Untimely Realization

︶︶︶︶

╘══════╛

The serpentine had rushed after Aurora and Akiri just a few heartbeats after they'd fled the scene.

The two hadn't made it very far into the crowds by the time they noticed their pursuers. Thankfully, they had a huge advantage over them; their foes were unable to follow after them immediately, as they didn't want to be spotted by any bystanders. Aurora could assume why– serpentine weren't present at the masquerade, so their appearance would only incite mass panic or, worse, an all-out-brawl between criminal organizations.

Using that knowledge, Aurora and Akiri stuck close to the swarms of people on the second floor. They ducked into one of the first rooms they could find, bolting into a more barren dining area. Tables with food and refreshments were lined against the walls, the last of their patrons already making their way out the door.

Knowing the serpentine were on their tail, Aurora was about to hurry off again. But Akiri acted just as fast, grabbing her arm and pulling her towards the closest table. The two slid under the furniture, hiding themselves beneath the tablecloth before they were caught.

Aurora fixed her position on the floor, being sure to keep her head down in the tight space. In the meantime, Akiri lifted a hand to the swaying tablecloth, urging it to still as an ominous THUD sounded from the distance.

Aurora held her breath as a serpentine's heavy footsteps echoed against the stone ground. The slow, steady noise grew louder as the seconds drew on, closing in on their location.

Fortunately, the sound was quick to vanish.

The foreboding footsteps were instead replaced with the chatter of partygoers. Aurora released a low exhale as the noise echoed into the room, announcing the approach of more strangers. That would be enough to keep the serpentine away from them– for now.

"Hey," Akiri whispered. "You okay?"

"Yeah," Aurora whispered back. "Are you?"

Akiri nodded, opening her mouth to speak, but the words died along her tongue. Aurora's communicator once again erupted with static– a tell-tale sign that their friends were on the line.

Akiri sent Aurora a questioning look, as though waiting for her to say something. Hearing a group of partygoers pass by, Aurora didn't attempt to explain vocally. Instead, she pointed to her communicator before shaking her head; Akiri immediately nodded, understanding.

Silence overcame them as they waited for the coast to clear around their table. When she was sure they wouldn't be heard, Akiri finally responded.

"She's with me. We're both fine." She revealed, her voice just loud enough for Aurora to hear. "Her comm is fried, though, but we can worry about that later."

"We're going to find a way out as soon as we–"

Akiri silenced as one of their friends responded. She turned to Aurora with a deepening frown.

"They said someone's watching the exit." She explained quietly. "They know we're trying to get out."

"Then tell the others to not be seen. The gang knew we were coming. They planned on it." Aurora urged. "Tell Onyx and Eris to regroup with Yuri on the roof and leave. Our best bet is to stay separated."