Not too Proud to Beg |14|

"Cali!" Poppy's voice goes shrill the moment her yellow eyes spot me

"Cali!" Poppy's voice goes shrill the moment her yellow eyes spot me. Her spindly arms stretch out of her tiny cage, desperately reaching for me, making my heart wrench. I want to snatch her up and hug her to my chest, knowing she's probably terrified right now, but I can take comfort in knowing she isn't going to be mistreated in the council's care.

They parade Kiki out right after her. The moment his gaze lands on me, his eyes go wide, and I can see a moment of hesitation where he has to force himself to not lurch toward me. His brief thought of heroism warms my heart, but I know both of them are about to be my downfall.

The Amoras in charge of them placed Poppy's cage down on the ledge of the witness stand, a white ash box carved with ancient depictions of cupids all over it, and have Kiki take a seat in the chair. Poppy lets out little grunts trying to reach for me, despite the twenty meters between us.

"Why is the pixie in a cage?" Hedylogus asks. His voice runs over the court like warm honey as a look of concern spreads across his chiseled face.

Cordy straightens his papers. "The vitium as stated is believed to be groomed and is under the impression that she's belongs with the accused. We are keeping her locked up at this time, for her own safety."

I can feel an uneasy shift in the courtroom as the elders shift in their seats and share looks among themselves. The idea of a pixie being manipulated by someone doesn't sit well with them, which is understandable. It wouldn't set well with me either if someone had, but I never groomed Poppy.

"May I question the first witness?" Cordy asks and gets a nod of approval from the elders. Cordy clears his throat and rounds his podium. His stance softens when his attention shifts to Poppy.

She doesn't want anything to do with him, though. Her thin fingers wrap around the bars of her cage, and stares him down.

"Good evening, Poppy. I have a few questions to ask you, and I'll need you to answer all of them."

Poppy sighs and glances off to the side at nothing in particular. "I make no promises."

Cupid chuckles, but my chest grows warm with pride over my little girl's stubbornness.

"Who is your mother, Poppy?" Cordy asks, ignoring Poppy's cold shoulder.

Poppy glances at me with concerned heavy eyes. I can't do anything to comfort her, though. Cordy is leading her right into his narrative, and we both know it.

"I don't see how that's got to do with anything," she smartly answers, but I know Cordy isn't going to let it slide, or the council for that matter.

Almost on cue, Hermaphroditos speaks up. "Answer the question."

Poppy looks from them to me, looking for reassurance, which does me no favors. They already think I groomed her when really it's my nervous little girl who is terrified she's going to get me in trouble.