Chapter 5 ~ Search

I woke up at 5 a.m. and threw on shorts and a t-shirt. Leaving my glasses behind, I tip-toed out of my room, careful not to make too much noise to wake River.

But then I glanced at his bedroom and saw the door cracked. Curiosity got the best of me, and I quietly crept over and peeked inside.

His room was dark, but the window was open, letting in the fresh morning air. His bed was empty and made, his suitcase open but very neatly packed.

I went back into the living room and put on my running shoes. I suppose River was already out, perhaps at soccer practice? It sure was early. For some reason, I didn't picture him as an early riser like me.

I put River out of my thoughts during my run. I loved to run; it was the one thing that completely put my mind at ease, and it helped me start the day on a good note. I loved the empty streets in the morning, the birds waking up, the sky getting lighter, the sound of my shoes as my feet hit the pavement, the dew on the grass. Listening to my own breathing steadied my mind.

I finished my run an hour later and got back to the apartment. River was still out, but I showered with the door locked for good measure. Then I stayed in my room, sitting on my bed with my tablet on my lap, doodling some new designs, and listening to music. The boyband Reigning Stars had put out their new album, after all.

Another hour passed, and I decided I should get to campus. I needed to print out something for my next class and grab food beforehand.

I exited my room, swung my backpack over my shoulder, and walked to the front door.

"Hey, you."

I turned and saw River leaning against the doorframe of his bedroom. His hair was sticking to his sweaty face, and his shirt was dirty with grass stains. He must've just come back from practice.

"Do you even know my name?" I asked coldly.

"Holland Turner. It was on your contract."

That caught me off-guard.

"What do you want?"

"Don't tell anyone about this, got it?" he said, crossing his arms.

I crossed mine too. "And why would I?"

"Are you kidding? You could easily use me to boost yourself up," he scoffed. "I'm warning you: don't even think about it."

"River, let me tell you something. I don't want to be associated with you either," I spat back. "You think I want all the baggage that would come with people finding out about this? Your team would kill me."

"You're not wrong."

"So, it's you that shouldn't try anything," I said, my temper flaring slightly. "We can discuss moving out at the end of the day with the landlord."

"Fine."

"Fine!"

I stormed out of the apartment and walked downstairs to my car. How could he be so arrogant?! I didn't want to be known as the nerd girl who tried to live with River Alves. That would be a complete mess.

I also knew how it felt to be the person being used. I would never do that to him.

"Shoot!" I ran back upstairs. I had forgotten my glasses again. No wonder the world was blurry.

I went inside quietly, not looking forward to another conversation with River. Fortunately, I heard the shower running, so I grabbed my glasses and ran out without another thought.

I wouldn't have time to see Alice or James on Tuesdays and Thursdays because our schedules didn't line up, and I had four classes, so I spent the day in the art department. I chatted with my favorite professors, got coffee, and attended classes. I ended my day a bit later than yesterday. I only had an hour before work started at 3 p.m.

Then I remembered with a jolt that I was supposed to meet the landlord today with River. We hadn't decided on a time, but I was going to be working until 9 p.m. tonight. I didn't normally work so long on a weekday, but my boss needed extra help tonight with a big order. River and I had to go to the landlord now or tomorrow. I had to find him.

Right this second.

I cursed under my breath as I half-jogged toward the soccer fields. It was hot outside, even for a late-August afternoon, and soon I was sweating under the heat of the sun and the sudden stress that I was under.

My anxiety increased when I didn't see anyone on the fields. I had expected him to be practicing, but what if he had class now? I was a total idiot. How could I find him in the next few minutes?

I glanced around the fields. A few athletes were heading in and out of the student athletic building, a place for athletes to relax or make out with themselves or whatever.

I took a deep breath and hurried to the building. This was my last chance to find him; otherwise, the campus was just too big to guess where he might be.

I entered through the tall glass doors and immediately felt out of place. Sure, I was slim from running, but my insecurities increased a hundredfold when I saw all the perfectly beautiful athletes and their perfectly fit bodies. I wasn't like them.

I had half a mind to leave, but then I remembered that if we didn't go to the landlord today, we'd be stuck living together for another night. That fueled me to continue into the horrid building.

The stares of the student-athletes were difficult to ignore. I knew I was out of place, but they didn't have to make it obvious that I didn't belong with them. I tried to keep my head down and look for River at the same time.

My face was steadily reddening the longer I wandered through the place, clutching my textbook to my chest as though it would protect me from these stares. River was nowhere to be seen. Should I ask someone?

"What are you doing?"