Chapter 21 ~ Birthday

I woke up much later than usual on Sunday morning. Last night I hadn't bothered to set an alarm, figuring that I deserved to sleep in. I took the day off from work, so I had all day to lounge around the house.

Plus... I could feel today was going to be a good day.

I checked my phone, still in bed, and saw a lovely message from Aiden. Despite his busy work schedule, he still made time to send me long texts once in a while. They almost felt like diary entries as he detailed what he'd done for however long he hadn't messaged me. It always made my day.

I got up and got dressed into my usual: a t-shirt and jean shorts. I left my hair loose and decided to wear contacts today instead of my glasses. I hated contacts, but I liked how I looked without glasses sometimes, for a change. And today, I wanted a change.

River was on the couch, playing his PS4, when I came out of the bathroom after getting ready for the day.

"Good morning," he called, not looking away from his video game.

"Good morning!" I replied. I went over to the fridge and got some cereal for breakfast. It was already 11 a.m. Did I really sleep that long?

---River's POV---

I glanced over at Holly. She was wearing cute jean shorts today with flowers on the pockets. And then she turned around, and I noticed she didn't have her glasses on. Contacts? With or without glasses, she was pretty.

I turned back to my game, not wanting my thoughts to continue past that.

I was feeling a lot better. I got a nice amount of sleep, and now, I was shooting zombies. What could be a better Sunday morning?

Holly ate cereal at the table as I continued my zombie rampage. I heard her put her bowl away and start washing the dishes.

"I was going to do those," I said, suddenly dropping the controller and hurrying over.

"It's okay, you're busy freeing the land of zombies," she said with a grin.

"No, really," I said. I stood next to her at the sink. "I can help."

"Fine," she said with a sigh, handing me the bowl she had in her hands. "There's not much to do."

"I'll still help."

BANG BANG BANG.

I jumped slightly. Holly whipped around.

"Was that...?"

BANG BANG BANG.

"Holly Bear! I know you're awake because you answered my texts! Open up!"

Holly faced me with wide eyes as though she'd been caught red-handed.

"My friend," Holly breathed. "What do we do?"

"Oh, it's unlocked," I heard her friend say from outside the door.

The door handle turned. The door creaked.

"Your door was unlocked! I hope you don't mind that I—"

A girl wearing all black with red streaks in her hair came through the door. Following her was a guy dressed in a flannel shirt, freckles darting across his face.

The girl stopped. Her jaw dropped as her eyes met mine.

"Alice? James?!" said Holly. She ran to her friend as I stood at the sink. "You know I love you guys and would normally let you in, but WHY DIDN'T YOU WAIT?!"

"Happy birthday!" said James, revealing a cake from behind his back. The candle had burnt out.

"We were surprising you..." said Alice, still staring right at me.