"New Work"

"September 8th, 1976"

"Alright, how do I look?" Darrell said while he stared into the mirror.

"As fit as a fiddle." Replied Cheryl. "You're going to do fine so don't worry so much."

"I know, but this is a much bigger position than the pharmaceutical department in the hospital back home.. Besides I still have no idea what I'll be a head researcher of."

"Come on, that's just your anxiety kicking in again. You and I both know you'll do fine."

"Yeah...yeah you're right Cheryl."

"Like always." she laughed.

Darrell smiled and gave her a quick peck on the cheek before heading downstairs. Just as he went to open the door he looked into the living room to see Tommy sleeping peacefully on the couch.

"What would I do without you two." Darrell said quietly before heading off.

After an hour of driving Darrell pulled into the driveway of ArrowHead Inc. A massive facility incharge of creating pharmaceutical equipment and power to a majority of the island. Nearby were several railway lines where a black diesel engine was shunting some trucks. Darrell walked in to find doctors and researchers riddled the hallways and rooms talking amongst each other. He quickly walked up to the receptionist counter where he met with a young lady.

"Hello there, how may I help you?" The receptionist said cheerfully.

"Hi, my name is Darrell Huston, I'm the new head researcher."

"Oh yes we've been expecting you. Before I send you off you'll need this." She said as she handed him a small orange card. "That's your identification card. With it you'll be able to access certain parts of the facility most people can't. Now you're wanted by Dr.Daniels so just take that hallway there all the way down, take a left at the end, and follow it down and you'll be there."

"Alright, perfect. Thank you."

Darrell walked around aimlessly for several minutes before finally reaching his destination. The metal door labeled "Head Researcher Dr.Daniels".

"What in the?"

Darrell stared at the handleless door. His eyes soon fell on a small keypad. It was riddled with buttons and lights.

"What kind of tech is this?"

Darrell fiddled with the keypad for a few moments when the door slid open revealing a man, somewhere in his late 30s to early 40s.

"So you must be Mr.Huston." Boomed the man. "Now why are you messing around with the keypad?"

"I was just trying to get in since I was wanted by Dr.Daniels. And I assume that's you?"

Dr.Daniels chuckled, "You know you could have just knocked. Now come with me and I'll help you get started."

The two men walked through the facility for hours talking about each department and its duties.

"You know I've noticed something weird I guess you could say."

"And what might that be son?"

"Well it's the number of armed guards. Why on earth would a pharmaceutical building need so many guns?"

"Well the company recently went through a security breach of sorts at a facility in America, Bridgton, Maine I believe. They never revealed the specifics other than they lost a lot of valuable information. Ever since we've had armed guards stationed at almost every corner of this place."

Darrell felt his spine tingle. What could have happened that would result in such security? His mind wandered the endless possibilities before he was snapped out of it as he ran face first into another doctor. Clipboards fell to the ground with a bang and papers flew from folders. Darrell got up to see he had run into an older man, the same age as Dr.Daniels, however he was rather different in appearance. He looked exhausted, bags ran beneath his eyes, and his skin was pale.

"I'm so sorry Sir. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. Here let me help with tho-"

"NO! Don't touch my work. Oh where's the bottom, which is the top? It must be in order!"

Darrell then felt a hand rest upon his shoulder and pull him to the side of the hallway.

"That is Dr. Joesph Taggart one of the best and broken minds in the facility. He has a set way of doing things and only he knows it. He's been given the task to work on a massive project by the owner of the company, however what it may be, only he and the highest of ranking researchers knows. It's hard to believe he was such a well kept and put together man when he first started out here."

Darrell looked back down at the ground to see the doctor frantically putting the papers and clip boards in a certain almost unkempt looking order.

"Maybe he knows something about the security breach..." Darrell said under his breath.

"Come on," Dr.Daniels began, "let's leave him to his mess. He won't let you help even if you tried. Besides, I must show you to your office."

Darrell agreed and the two men left the frantic doctor behind. They stopped in front of a metal door. Above the keypad was a black plaque with white writing which read "Head Researcher Dr.Huston''.

"This is your office. The code to get in and out is 7 0 0 2, don't forget it. That keycard of yours can be used to access certain points of the facility others can't. You just have to swipe it in the device next to the door and the door will slide open. Now you've got some papers to sign and fill out by the end of today so I'd recommend you to get it."

"Alright, perfect and thanks for the tour. This facility sure is something to get lost in."

"It's only my job. Now get to work, I'm still technically your supervisor so I'd hate to write you up on your first day."

The two men laughed and Darrell entered his office and sat down at the desk. Upon the desk were several papers which detailed the terms and condition of his duties. He spent hours reading and signing the papers till the sun began to set.

"Alright last one." Darrell yawned as he picked up the final document. "What in the?"

Darrell looked back to see Dr.Daniels enter his office.

"Oh hello Dr.Daniels what can I do for you?"

"What you can do for me is head home. It's 9:00 and that's closing time."

Darrell was taken aback. He didn't realize so much time had passed.

"Yes sir, right away sir."

Darrell grabbed his coat and swiftly left the office leaving Dr.Daniels behind. He exited the building and entered the darkness of the night. The only source of light were a few street lights scattered around the parking lot. He quickly located his car and drove off, ready for a nice rest.