"Tangled in the Webs"

"November 27th, 1976"

The small patch of survivors had been stuck in the security room all through the night. They had been expecting help from the police or even other scientists and guards, however, there hasn't been a sound outside the door for hours.

"Do you think he'll be alright?" asked a scientist.

"I honestly don't know," said another. "He hasn't moved for a while.

Darrell had been sitting in the same spot in the same position since the day prior. He couldn't take the room any long. It smelled of blood and eerie silence was getting to everyone. Even the slightest noise would cause everyone to jump. He couldn't stand looking at the white walls any longer, it felt as though he were in an asylum. His chest had begun to tighten, almost as if he had been wearing a strait jacket.

"That's it I can't take this anymore!" he cried. "We've been here since yesterday and I'm not sitting around any longer! My family is out there, and I have to find them!"

"Darrell we all have families out there, but we can't be going mad now!" replied Daniels. "I want to get out of this wretched building as much as you, but we don't know what's out there. As you said someone was dragged away, by some unknown creature, into the deeper levels of the facility-"

"You think I give a damn! My family is the only thing I cherish in this unjust, disgusting world!"

The other scientists looked at him with mixed emotion. None of them knew what to say.

Daniels eventually broke the tension "Alright...Alright. We can't stop you from doing what you're going to do. Just be careful out there."

Darrell nodded and walked towards the door and the security officer pulled out his keycard.

"You sure you wanna do this?" asked the security officer.

Darrell looked towards the door filled with determination. "Absolutely."

The guard nodded and swiped the keycard through the reader and with a creek and a groan the door slid open. The whole facility had been bathed in the thick mist. This at first scared Darrell. Who knew what laid beyond the doorway, however he knew he had to find his family. With a shake of his head, he slowly exited the room and disappeared into the mist. 

***

"Maron"

"I still don't understand what the big fuss was about. I mean it's only mist." Emily said as she pulled up to the platform.

"I know old girl, but hey at least we're back up and running." replied the driver.

"You're right about that. I spent long enough in that shed with those engines. Honestly I don't know how Edward has put up with them all these years."

Her crew agreed and went to chat with the guard. Emily looked around the mist filled woods.

"It's so eerie out here." she thought to herself. "Not a single animal stirring nor a gust of wind-" 

Emily's thoughts were cut off by the sound of rustling in the bushes. Emily was glad to hear something other than the sizzling of her pistons, however that's when she noticed what was causing the rustling.

"That's no deer...oh my-" 

Emily then blasted her whistle, getting the attention of everyone in the station.

"Emily what's going on!" asked her fireman.

"There's a man over there and he looks hurt!"

The people looked towards the woods and were shocked to see a man stumble from the brush. He was in bad shape. He had cuts and bruises all over him and his lab coat had been torn to bits. Most horrifyingly of all was the chunk of flesh missing from his leg.

"Help...me..." the man said before falling to the ground.

Emily was horrified and several people ran to his aid. As they began to help the man to his feet the rustling of bushes was heard again soon followed by a high peak squeal. Without warning several dark creatures lunged from the woods and onto the man. They clawed and bit at him, soon dragging him into the darkness with the only thing alerting people of his existence were his screams. Just as soon as the man's scream ceased several more of the creatures began to attack the poor bystanders along the platform. The people ran amongst each other trying to save themselves.

"Driver! Fireman! Get me out of here!" Emily cried; however, her crew had already run for the hills leaving her behind.

Emily looked ahead to see one of the winged creatures heading right for her. She shut her eyes and it sunk its claws into her face.

***

"Killdane"

James awoke with a fright as the sound of an ear shattering scream echoed from down the line.

"What was that!"

"I have no clue." replied Jason trying to keep everyone calm.

"Maybe we should go investigate it." recommended Phil.

Jason looked towards his friend dumbfounded. "Are you crazy! That mist spewed from that facility; we have no idea if it's even safe to breathe!"

"Look, we've been sitting in here since yesterday and everyone is getting restless. I think it's best if I head out with some of them and figure out what's going on plus we could even get some food."

The others within the shed agreed and it was clear Jason couldn't sway them.

"Alright you can head out. Just don't go getting yourselves killed."

"Please how bad could it be? I mean its only mist." Phil said as he exited the shed soon followed by several others.

***

Darrell had been wandering the mist filled town for what felt like hours. He had tried to locate his car, but it was clear someone had stolen it in an attempt to escape the mist.

"Christ, I don't remember living this far."

As he turned around the block, he saw his home. His face lit up and he ran towards it. He was filled with excitement, but that all came crashing down when he got a good look at the house. It was covered in webs and the front window had been shattered and glass littered the living room. He opened the door and walked quietly through the desolate home.

"Cheryl? T-Tommy?" he called softly.

Darrell then looked up towards the ceiling as a thud was heard on the floor above. He raced up the stairs and into his bedroom to find what had been making the noise. Two bodies lay tied in the webs. The larger of the two had fallen to the ground causing the thud. Darrell walked slowly towards the larger body and pulled away at the web. He screamed and fell back at the sight. His face was filled with tears and guilt. He looked towards the smaller body, which still hung in the webs, and let out another cry. He didn't know what else to do other than curl into a ball and cry. Everything he cared about was gone. Suddenly he heard the sound of people talking. He crawled towards the window and peered outside to see several people walking through the town. He couldn't help but notice one of them was wearing the uniform of the engine crew members on the NWR. One of the people then looked up and right at him. Darrell ducked out of view praying they didn't see him. When he looked once more, they were gone. Darrell sighed, got up, and looked back towards the bodies.

"I-I'm so sorry..." he said as he turned away and exited his home.