Chapter 15: Cast List

As the fall season approached, auditions for the school's musical had begun. I never really considered auditioning, but my friend Jessica insisted that we try out since all of our other friends were planning on doing so.

"I'm telling you, it'll be so much fun," Jessica said, nudging me in the arm. "Plus, think about how cool it would be to be part of the musical."

I sighed, still unsure. "I don't know, Jess. I've never really been much of a singer or actor."

"Don't worry about it," she replied. "Just give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen?"

Reluctantly, I agreed to audition. The musical we were recreating this year was West Side Story, a classic tale of love and rivalry between two gangs in 1950s New York City. We were all vying for the lead role of Maria, the female protagonist.

The audition process was nerve-wracking, to say the least. But somehow, to my surprise, I managed to impress the judges enough to land the coveted role of Maria. Jessica, on the other hand, was cast as Anita, a close friend of Maria's.

"I can't believe it," I exclaimed to Jessica as we walked out of the audition room. "I actually got the lead role!"

"I told you, didn't I?" she said with a grin. "You were amazing up there."

The Cast List was posted on the school's website a few days later, and I could barely contain my excitement as I scrolled through the list. There it was: my name next to the role of Maria.

"I can't believe it," I said to Jessica. "I'm actually going to be in the musical."

"I know, right?" she replied. "We're going to be amazing."

The rehearsals had been going smoothly for the most part, but one day after it ended, Jessica and I headed towards the changing room to get changed before heading home. As we walked, Jessica asked, "Hey, wanna get something to eat after we leave?"

"Sure," I replied absentmindedly, my thoughts already drifting towards dinner plans.

But as we pushed open the door to the changing room, the scene in front of us shocked me to my core. There, in the middle of the room, was Sarah with her tongue down Levi's throat. My eyes widened in disbelief, and anger boiled inside me. "Hey, what the fuck do you think you're doing?" I yelled at them.

Sarah looked at me with a devious smile. Levi stammered, "Hey, I can explain-"

I cut him off. "You know what, fuck you. We're done," I said as I stormed out of the room, with Jessica trailing behind me in shock.

As we walked out of the building, Jessica finally spoke up. "Oh my god, I can't believe that just happened. Are you okay?"

I took a deep breath and let out a frustrated sigh. "I'm just so fucking done with all the drama in this school. I can't even believe I got sucked into auditioning for the musical," I replied, feeling a mix of anger and embarrassment.

As we walked down the street, Jessica put her arm around my shoulder and said, "Yeah, Sarah is a bitch. She probably did it because she's jealous she didn't get the lead role."

I shook my head, feeling exhausted. "I don't even care about the stupid lead role anymore. I just want to graduate and get the hell out of here."

After a few more minutes of walking, Jessica turned to me and said, "Hey, do you want me to give you a ride home?" I nodded gratefully. "Yeah, that would be great. I don't think I can handle any more drama today."

We walked to her car and she drove me home in silence, letting me process everything that had just happened. As she dropped me off at my house, I turned to her and said, "Thanks for everything, Jess. You're a real friend."

She smiled warmly. "Of course, anytime. Just remember, we're in this together. High school sucks, but we'll make it through."