Chapter 16: Reconnecting

Darryl was outside working in the yard when he saw me storm into the house, tears streaming down my face. Concern etched on his face, he quickly approached me and asked, "Heather, what's wrong?"

I didn't respond, just stormed past him and headed straight to my room, slamming the door shut behind me. I threw my bag onto the floor and buried my face into the pillow, letting out a muffled sob.

Darryl's concerned face turned to Jessica, who was in her car. "What happened? Is she okay?" he asked. Jessica explained what had happened in the changing room.

A few moments later, I heard a knock on the door. "Can I come in?" Darryl asked.

"No, leave me alone," I replied, my voice muffled by the pillow.

But Darryl came in anyway and sat down beside me. "So, what happened was pretty rough," he said, trying to comfort me.

"It's just these damn hormones making me act stupid," I said, trying to hold back tears.

"Breakups are tough, I've been through my fair share of them," Darryl said, trying to empathise with me. "But Bryan, you're the smartest person I know. Don't let this get to you."

I let out a sigh and rolled over to face him. "You know what, you're a good brother," I said, feeling a sense of gratitude towards him. "If only you would notice me when I was Bryan and not Heather."

Darryl looked at me with surprise. "Is that what you think? Heather, I've always loved you. I just didn't know how to show it."

I was taken aback. "Really?" I asked, feeling a mix of shock and happiness.

Darryl nodded. "Hey, you want to get some ice cream? It may make you feel better," he said, changing the subject.

I smiled through my tears. "Yeah, that sounds nice."

The news of my breakup with Levi had spread like wildfire throughout the school. Everywhere I went, I could feel the stares and whispers of my classmates. But I tried to push it all aside and focus on the task at hand - our chemistry project.

As I walked into the classroom, I saw Daniel, Josh, and Harry sitting together, hunched over a notebook. They looked up as I approached.

"Hey, Heather," Daniel said, his voice quiet and reserved. "We were wondering if we could work on the project at your house or anywhere you find suitable."

I was taken aback by their sudden formality. These guys were my friends from before, but they seemed to act different and more mature around girls.

"Sure, your house is fine," I said, trying to keep things light. I wanted to tell them that I was actually Bryan, but I couldn't. According to the terms of my contract, I had to keep my true identity a secret.

After the bell rang, we all headed out of the school. The boys were getting ready to bike home, but when they saw that I was going to walk, they decided to walk too. We walked in silence for a while, until I couldn't take it anymore.

"Hey, guys, loosen up," I said, trying to break the ice. "I promise I won't bite." I chuckled, hoping to lighten the mood. "Think of me as a friend. This project won't work if we don't get along."

Daniel looked up at me, his eyes slightly wider than before. "Yeah, sure," he mumbled.

"So, what do you guys do for fun?" I asked, trying to spark some conversation.

Harry shrugged. "Oh, you won't find it interesting."

I rolled my eyes. "Come on, give me something."

Josh glanced at Harry before speaking up. "Well, we mostly just hang out, watch movies, and play video games."

"Really? What kind of games do you play?" I asked, even though I knew the answers.

Harry hesitated for a moment before answering. "Just some casual games. Nothing too crazy."

I just wanted them to bond with 'Heather', so I decided not to push it. "Well, have you guys ever played Valorant?" I said, trying to sound casual. "I'd say I'm pretty good at it."

The boys looked at each other in shock. "Woah, you play Valorant? No way," said Josh.

I could tell that they were starting to loosen up, and I was glad. Maybe we could actually make this project work after all.