Emperor's Offer

You dipped your head, staring at the ground, trying your best to be respectful, "N-no! Of course I know you can handle yourself! It was simply adrenaline clouding my judgement, please forgive me, my Emperor." You began to sweat as you spoke, as well as your legs beginning to shake. You had misspoken, and you were worried on how your actions were to be paid for.

The Emperor is not a merciful man.

-----

"Apt apt apt." He chirped, raising his hand to silence you, and effectively stopping your talking. You quickly turned back to look at him.

"Tell me," He spoke unervingly softly, "What's your name again?" He asked. You couldn't help that the question caught you a little off gaurd, he had written it on the letter after all.

"My name is y/n, sir." You told him, trying to keep as still as you could as fear began to creep up on you quickly.

"And what is your position, what do you do in my castle?" He asked, again with an uncomfortably call tone.

"I-I'm a guard, sir. But I usually don't leave the grounds, I usually just do chores around the castle." You spoke, trying your damnedest not to let your voice shake. Out of all the people judging you for your position, you didn't want the emperor to be one of them.

You had subconsciously dipped your head again, holding your arms together trying to make any trembling less noticeable. He starred over you, being much taller then you in his throne. You didn't dare look up to him.

It felt like he was staring down into your soul, though it was hard to tell with his mask on.

"You know, guard, my curse has been effecting me for quite some time now. I have thought about this in the past, but the idea has come back to me now. It would be good if I had someone to watch over me incase of these... outbursts occur." He explained calmly to you.

Thought after thought began to rush through your mind. What was he eluding too? Was he offering you a position? Why did he need another persons help? Didn't he have someone already?

"Sir, if you don't mind me asking... who was the person to assist you last?" I slowly turned up to him to ask the question, and I immediately felt under pressure again looking at the Emperor on his throne. He looked so... intimidating.

"The Golden Guard assisted me, but recently he's been out on missions more frequently. This usually wouldn't be a problem if the frequency of my outbursts also didn't increase." He explained. Now you knew who you saw before you passed out, it was the Golden Guard, one of the highest ranking members of the Emperor's Coven and closest to the Emperor.

You felt even more embarrassed, two of the highests ranking witches in the Boiling Isles saw you pass out.

"But guard," He stood up, taking a slow step towards me, making my eyes go wide. "How would you feel about helping me with my curse? You could be quite useful to me." He said. The question felt like a branding iron was pressed against your skull. You? Be directly helping the Emperor?

The thought of accompanying him everywhere sent an excited shiver down your spine. Was this your chance to fly up the ranks? To show everyone that you're worth more then a lousy errand boy?

The thought racked around in your brain for a second, but then you felt a hand be placed on your shoulder. "Think about it. Come back tomorrow with an answer." The Emperor said, towering over you.

You looked up to try and meet his shrouded eyes, but before you could get your head fully tilted up he spoke again, "You are dismissed."

He quickly turned back around and slowly walked back up his thrones steps, and sat down gently.

You stood there in disbelief for a second, scenarios running wild in your mind as you desperately tried to make sense of the Emperor's offer. It felt like he was being vague on purpose, but then again, the thought of being so close to him excited you

You finally tilted your head down, thanked him, and left. Once you got out of the doors you immediately snatched your helmet off and started breathing frantically. You thanked no one was around as you achingly tried to regain your composure.

Question after question scuttled through your brain, what does this mean? your breathing began to shallow out as you thought of answers.

Finally, you were able to put your helmet on, and you decided this would probably be a good time to head in for the night. On the way back to the barracks, you tried very hard to ignore the slight shaking in your knees as you walked, replaying the thought of the Emperor standing over you menacingly.

-----

woohoo chapter three yippee
May 13th, 2023