Hallway Encounters

Finally, you were able to put your helmet on, and you decided this would probably be a good time to head in for the night. On the way back to the barracks, you tried very hard to ignore the slight shaking in your knees as you walked, replaying the thought of the Emperor standing over you menacingly.

-----

The next morning you felt like you woke up and we're immediately hit with a looming sense of anxiety. Your fingers felt twitchy and you felt like you couldn't get a solid breath of air.

You peered over at the clock mounted on the wall, the Emperor would expect you back for an answer probably around 8:30, so you had plenty of the day to dwell on the brewing dread you had.

You had been ordered to carry a heavy stack of newly bought books to the library. You decided to place the books down for a second as you rounded a corner, just for a moment to catch your breath.

You were caught off guard though by the faint sound of whispers from a hallway that branched out from where you were standing.

"Do you think he's going to do it?" a high pitched voice asked.
"I'm not sure, I wouldn't be surprised if he was completely scared of Belos by now." A more masculine voice responded.

"I don't know how to feel about The Emperor offering a position like this..."
"I think it could be good for Belos, he barely talks to you, barely talks to me, maybe someone tailing him all day will get him some desperately needed social interaction."
"Maybe..."

After a couple of seconds of listening, you felt like you should move on from the eaves dropping.

You retraced your steps back and grabbed the books of the floor, taking a beat and then moving forward, attempting to make it past the hallway the voices were down.

You took a small glance down the hallway as you passed, and you felt your eyes widen as you saw Kikimora and the Golden Guard standing in the hallway.

You quickened your pace.

"Hey, you." shoot. You prayed to Titan that they didn't know you were eaves dropping. You turned your head to face them and they were both looking at you, and you felt your heart begin to beat faster.

"Scout, come here." The Golden Gaurd ordered. You shakingly put the books down and made your way over to where the two were standing.

Kikimora stood on her toes and leaned in and whispered something to The Golden Guard, and he nodded.

"Are you the one who Emperor Belos has offered a position to?" He asked, his tone was completely serious but you couldn't help notice the teen like voice he had.

You dipped your head, "Yes sir. That was me." You replied respectfully, your heart beating faster.

"Ah." He replied, "I see, and are you going to take him on the offer?" He asked. Taking a step towards you.

You felt the beating of your heart in your ears now, talking to someone of such a higher position made you unbelievably nervous.

"I-I'm not sure yet, sir. I'm still thinking about the offer, if I'm being honest." You answered, trying your hardest to hold your composure, at least in your voice.

"Well, if you want my opinion, I think you should take it. It'd. It'd be good for the Emperor, wouldn't want what happened to you to happen to someone else, would we?" He said, and as he talked you remembered the golden figure standing over you, the Emperor telling you how he was the one to assist him in the curse.

The Golden Guard was probably the one to get you to the clinic, the one to watch you pass out. You nodded to him, and he simply waved his hand in reply, dismissing you. You watched as he turned on his heel and walked down the hallway.

You stood there for a second, star studded, still feeling your heart beat in your ears.

You tried to regain your composure, picking the books back up and continuing on your way. Maybe the Golden Guard was right, it would be bad if that did happen to anybody else. You couldn't help picture a helpless guard being towered over by a threaten cursed creature, and you shook the thought out of your head. You needed to get this done before anything else.

You impatiently starred at the clock, waiting for it to come time to tell the Emperor your answer.

Finally the clock hands reached 8:30 and you immediately hoped off your bunk, snatching your helmet and making your way down to the Emperors throne room. You walked quickly, desperate to get this interaction over with.

You carefully opened the door and even from a distance, the Emperor's large looking aura crept its way towards you. As you walked closer, you noticed that the Golden Guard was standing at the foot of his throne, and you saw him turn up to the Emperor, as if to say something.

Finally, you made it to the foot of throne, dipping your head in respect and looking back up to him.

"So? He said, questioningly, "What is your decision on my offer?" He asked, his voice laced with authority.

You knew the answer, but you couldn't help how his voice made your heart beat and how it felt like your hands were beginning to shake.

"M-my Emperor, I've... I've decided to accept your offer."

-----
chapter 4 woohoo
reminder!! if you see any errors please let me know!!
May 15, 2023