Chapter 21 - Black Out

Chapter 21

“Uh, Sweetpea?” I feel someone shake my shoulder a little, “Sweetpea? Is something wrong?”

I groan and roll over slinging my leg over something warm but hard and hugging it close to my head, “Five more minutes.” I groan, hugging my slightly uncomfortable pillow closer.

Oh Crap.

My eyes snap open to stare right into John’s own surprised eyes. They widen as I take in his absolutely stricken expression.

I roll over quickly to find myself caught between both him and Claire, on their bed, in their bedroom.

“I am so sorry!” I cry, leaping up. “What happened? This is so embarrassing! I’m so sorry!”

Claire tries to calm me down as I go into apology overdrive, bowing on the floor repeatedly like they’re medieval warlords. “It’s ok Hailey. It’s fine, we didn’t even notice till we woke up!”

“I’m sorrryyy!” I wail. “I have weird sleep-walking issues!”

Claire gets off the bed and helps me up, “We’re fine Hailey. Completely used it actually… John just got a little shocked.”

John’ s still lying their stock-still and I bite my lip, he’s probably traumatised from being used as a teddy bear.

Claire ushers me out of the room and starts leading me towards my own, “He’s fine Sweetpea. Really he is. Now go get ready for school… do you need me to drop you or anything?”

Her question makes my heart ache slightly as I remember that Linc won’t be picking me up anymore.

I shrug, “Um, I think I’m ok… Thy boys can give me a lift.”

I haven’t actually asked if there’s any room for me to get a lift so I’m planning on walking to school from now on. Claire doesn’t need to know that though.

She nods, “Ok… But really, when you need it, it’s there.”

I kiss her on the cheek, “Thanks Claire.”

She smiles at me and I nod, starting to walk into my room, “Uh, Sweetpea?”

“Yeah?”

“I need to wash the t-shirt you wore yesterday a couple of times. It had a lot of salt in it from your trip to the beach yesterday.”

I smile, “Oh thanks Cl – wait. How did you…. Shoot.”

She quirks an eyebrow, “Rabid squirrel? You really thought I’d fall for that?” I blush and look at my feet, vowing to kill Jake. Claire laughs, “Don’t be so tense Hailey! I really don’t mind that you two went and had some fun yesterday.” She cups one side of my face, “It’s good to know that you’re smiling again. I’m happy.”

Maybe I’ll plan Jake’s murder for a later date.

“We’re leaving Hailey!” Jake calls out to me.

I grab my bag and start running down the stairs with my new dress and mannequin, “Ready!” I yell out, nearly tripping down the last few steps.

Who the hell trips down stairs? You’re supposed to fall. Not trip.

Jake eyes the mannequin, “You do know that I drive a motorbike, right?”

I groan, “We aren’t taking a car?”

He raises an eyebrow, “The guys left two minutes ago. You just missed them.”

I stamp my foot in frustration, trying to think of what to do now.