Chapter 29 - Completely and Utterly Wasted

Chapter 29

“Come out Hailey.” Jake groans through the door, “Let’s go already.”

I sit impatiently on my bed, my arms crossed, in my underwear and a large t-shirt that I may/may not have stolen from Jake’s laundry pile. “Maddy’s picking me up!” I say for the 15th time, “We’ve already made arrangements to go together.”

“I’d seriously rather you went with me though.” He replies, now kicking the door repeatedly like a child.

“Jake! Just go already!” I growl, starting to get impatient with him. Ever since that reunion we had with the family he’d been all distant. During Christmas he was civil enough, but afterwards he just went back to ignoring me and just generally refusing to talk. I mean, sure I hadn’t really done much to encourage him but I was building up all my courage for tonight. Yes, you heard me. Tonight is the night! The beautiful evening upon which I shall be telling Jake my true feelings and ending this whole debacle of misunderstandings and unspoken confessions.

The silence in the hallway seems to stretch as Jake stops kicking. “Let’s go already!” Wes calls from downstairs.

I strain my ears as I listen out for the retreating footsteps but I can’t hear anything. “Fine then. I’ll see you there or something.” He finally mutters before stomping off.

I relax a little, feeling a little bad for lying but knowing that I’ll be making up for it tonight. I peak through the curtains of my window a minute later and watch as Wes and Jake pull out of the driveway and take off down the street. I start to feel an overwhelming sense of panic build up within me and before I know it I’m under my bed having a little talk with myself.

You can do this Hailey.

No I can’t.

Yes you can. You’ve been psyching yourself up for this.

No I haven’t.

Don’t you think you’ve dragged this out long enough?

No.

Jake deserves to be happy too. You can’t just keep his hopes up for the rest of your life, can you?

I guess…

You have to confess today.

But–

Otherwise Maddy will have your ass.

Good point.

“Hailey? Where’d you go?”

I hit my head on the bottom of the bed as I jump in surprise, “OW!”

Maddy and Mitch’s face appear in front of mine, “What the hell are you doing under there?”

I crawl out, rubbing my head, probably looking like some kind of ragged monster that kids expect to find under their beds, “Um…”

“Never mind. Never mind.” Maddy sighs, hauling me up and pushing a bag into my hands. “I brought your dress, shoes, everything.” She gives me another bag, “Jewellery’s in there.”

Stressed thoughts put aside, I take a peek inside and a smile breaks out onto my face as I wrap her up in a big hug, “Oh Maddy!”

“You shouldn’t have.” She mimics, “I know, I know. Now get dressed in here while I figure out what to do with the idiot on your bed.

I turn around to look at the idiot in question and gasp in surprise, “Oh wow Mitch.” I stare in astonishment at the half-straight/half-curled shock of red hair sitting on top of my friends head. She crosses her arms and continues to sulk.