8

Jackson

"I was thinking I could visit you in New York sometime if you're not too busy," my mom says, her cheery voice ringing out as I place my phone on speaker mode.

Following my parents' divorce, Mom moved to LA, where she was born and raised. During the time I resided in London, I'd flown back to the States a few times but since returning to New York, I'm yet to see her in person.

"Of course I'd love to see you, Mom," I assure her. "It's been so long."

"I'd love to see you too," she replies and hesitates for a moment. "There's also something else—"

A sudden loud knock on my office door interrupts our conversation. "Jackson, do you have a quick moment?"

Shifting my gaze, I see Andrew Burke, with a book in his hands. Andrew was another one of Carter Marketing Solutions' Directors, having joined the company around the same time I did. He had also been an old and close friend of my dad's, although I rarely saw him growing up.

"Sorry Mom, just a sec," I speak into my phone and glance back up at Andrew. "Andrew, what's up?"

"I just wanted to give you this." With a warm smile, he walks inside and places the book on my desk. "I know you mentioned wanting to read more last week. I picked this one up at the bookstore yesterday."

"Oh, awesome, thank you," I say and glance at the book title—it's Stephen Covey's The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. "That's very kind of you."

"Of course," he replies. His gaze shifts to my phone and he clears his throat. "I'll let you get back to your call."

"Hey Mom, sorry about that," I say, turning my attention back to my phone as Andrew walks out. "It was just Andrew."

"All good." A tiny pause ensues on the other end of the line. "How are you finding working with him?"

"Good, I guess?" I answer. "He's been very supportive."

"That's good," she replies slowly, as if she's choosing her words carefully. Another pause follows. "I—I have to go now, but we'll talk soon, okay?"

"Yeah, for sure. Take care, Mom."

A funny feeling hangs in my stomach when our call ends—there was definitely something more that she wanted to say to me. Nonetheless, Mom had always been good at bottling her feelings and emotions up. Maybe if she visited New York and we talked in person, it would help clear anything up.

That aside, at least one problem appears to be off my plate. After my last encounter with Hilary at the Maple Leaf Cafe, she hasn't tried to contact me anymore, at least not in person. I did, however, receive a box of cupcakes this morning from her with a letter in which she apologized for her behavior. I'm planning on throwing out the cupcakes—I don't like wasting food but I refuse to eat these despite her letter—who knows what she might have put in them.

Taking the box of cupcakes, I make my way over to Aaron's office. "Hey, want to go for a coffee run?"

Aaron glances up from his computer screen. "Sure. What's inside that box?"

"Cupcakes from Hilary," I reply. "I was just going to throw them out."

Aaron's eyes light up in delight, like a kid who's just been offered candy. "Cupcakes? Don't throw them out! I'll have them."

I cock a brow. "Are you sure about that? She could have put some kind of secret love potion in there for all we know."

"Guess I'll take one for the team then," he grins. "Come on, stop acting like my mom and pass them over. I'm starving."