27

Isabelle

I manage to finish getting ready ten minutes before Jackson's here to pick me up for our date, which feels like a record achievement.

Despite trying to get hints from him as to what we're going to do, Jackson has insisted that today is going to be a surprise. The only thing he said was to block out the whole day in my calendar, and that I was welcome to wear something more comfortable during the day. For that reason, I've opted for a more casual look—a baby blue floral maxi dress with a pair of white Converse shoes.

Just as I'm about to place my keys inside my purse, my intercom rings and it's indeed Jackson. I immediately buzz him up and wait in anticipation.

Two minutes later, a knock resounds on my door and I open it to see Jackson standing there, looking as handsome as ever and holding a bouquet of red roses in his hands.

"You look beautiful, Bella," he smiles, his face lighting up when he sees me. Before I can reply, he pulls me into a loving kiss, and I close my eyes, savoring the taste of his soft lips against mine.

When we pull apart, the only thought echoing in my head is that the kiss wasn't long enough.

"Patience, Bella," he smirks, as though he can sense what I'm thinking—it's probably because I'm staring at him like he's a delicious snack. "I have somewhere I'd love to take you to first."

"Who says I'm not a patient person?" I scoff.

He chuckles and then hands me the flowers. "These are for you."

"Thank you," I smile. "They're gorgeous."

After carefully placing the flowers in my apartment, I grab my purse and then walk together with Jackson down the lobby and to his car.

I feel like there's something else I was going to grab before leaving, but I shake off the feeling.

After a twenty-minute drive, we reach our first destination—Bonnie's Books, a cute and modern cafe bookstore located in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York City. It's a shop I haven't had a chance to visit yet, but have always wanted to.

"How did you know this place is on my bucket list?" I ask, excitement bubbling in my chest as we step inside the shop together hand in hand.

A sparkle twinkles in his eyes. "I remember that you shared one of their Instagram posts a few weeks ago, and knew that it was somewhere I wanted to take you to."

"You're so thoughtful," I pout. "Thank you."

Jackson raises my hand to his lips and presses a kiss to it. "You don't have to thank me, Bella."

I let out a jubilant smile in response, a fluttery feeling in my stomach.

"Remember how back in school we'd always try to beat each other at everything and make it a game?" he then asks.

"How could I forget?" I tease. I'd kept a running tally in my journal of the number of times I'd won, or lost to Jackson.

A light chuckle escapes his mouth. "Well, today, I think we should play a different game."

Curiosity fills my body. "What kind of game?"

He pauses for a moment and glances around the store before another one of his classic cocky smiles taints his lips. "Four words—you pick, I pay."

"You mean...you're going to buy a book for me?"

"Not just a book," he corrects. "As many books as my baby wants."