Chapter 1

Levi

"Don't forget the radishes," Queen Aria trilled as she draped herself over her throne. "Last time, you forgot to list the radishes and I had to pretend that turnips were a satisfactory replacement. They don't even taste remotely similar."

"Yes, of course," Levi returned as he reluctantly wrote radishes on the queen's grocery list. How she could possibly stand the taste of those things, he could never quite understand, but unfortunately she would never let go of that one time he pretended he hadn't heard her mention them. That radish-free feast had been the most uncomfortable one he had ever attended, albeit the most delicious one. "Anything else, Your Highness?"

"That should be all. Give the list to one of the butlers, and come back here as soon as you're done. I need you to draft a letter to my cousin."

Levi took a bow before darting out of the throne room. Calling for one of the butlers, he delivered the note, and then promptly ran back to the queen. It was a busy job, one that kept him on his feet and left him tired and worn out at the end of the day, but at least Queen Aria paid well. Not many people would be willing to give a blind scribe such a huge paycheck, after all.

Most of his time was spent drafting letters or grocery lists with the occasional proclamation thrown in for good measure, so it was a job that Levi had grown bored of within the third week of starting. If it wasn't for Queen Aria's constant parties and delectable feasts (save for the onslaught of radishes), Levi would probably have quit by now. Nothing about being a scribe could compare with his old job of being a treasure hunter, but hey, it's hard to look for treasure when you can't even see for shit.

Well, that last part wasn't quite true. He could see his great uncle Tobias laughing at him every time Levi ran into a wall (damn that whole blindness thing), and he could see some random courtier with what looked like snot hanging out of his nose every time allergy season hit. True, those people were all dead, but at least it gave Levi some entertainment. Who knew being able to see dead people could be so fun?

Of course, nobody else knew about this quirky little trait. After that last botched tomb-raiding expedition, when Levi first obtained that curse, he had kept the details of it all hidden from everybody, even the queen. Sure, it was nice having a way of knowing what was happening in the world around him—sometimes the ghosts helped him "see"—but at what cost? He had to keep this secret closely guarded or be hanged as a witch. He had no desire to lose his life for it.

He quietly presented himself in front of Queen Aria and bowed low in respect. "I have returned, Your Highness," he said in a lowered tone, indicating the respect he held towards his queen and her power.

"Indeed, you have," she responded as she leaned forward on her throne. "I presume you have your paper?"

"Yes, Your Highness."

"Good. I need you to draft a letter to my dear Cousin Bertha in regard to our current economic situation. You know how these things go. Emphasise our friendship, but also remind her that we will not stand for any foolishness, lest we find ourselves in the ugly hands of a food shortage."

Levi nodded solemnly and promised to have the letter ready by the hour. With that, he scurried off towards his study (with the help of Uncle Tobias) where he could carefully compose the necessary correspondence without interruption. Dipping his quill in the ink, he wrote:

☆❊☆

To His Majesty King Soran,

While I am flattered by your high opinions of me and your desire to be wed, I regretfully must decline your offer. I feel I am still too young to be married, and it is my wish to spend at least a few mores years as the sole monarch of Cythin before I inevitably must seek a partnership with another nation. Additionally, I am somewhat concerned by your request to "produce numerous offspring to carry on the noble lineage of Gevarian kings."