Chapter 15

Levi

Levi had to admit, he was a little sad when the singing stopped. The sirens' voices were like angels and he wished that the royal composer was there so he could create a beautiful symphony for the high courts. Regardless, he was still relieved when the singing stopped and the desire to jump into the water disappeared.

Sitting in the cargo holdings was getting seriously boring. He had gotten so accustomed to the fast-paced lifestyle of the pirates—well, specifically Wren—that sitting around for even half an hour became dull. Upon hearing Hector's footsteps descending down the ladder and into the cargo holdings, Levi immediately jumped to his feet, ready to rejoin the rest of the crew.

"We've completely passed the sirens," Hector informed him. "I'll help you up the ladder."

Slowly, with Hector's patient guidance, Levi made his way up the ladder, sighing in relief when he felt the sun beating down on his skin. He looked around for Wren, wanting to thank the captain for forcing him below deck. However, when he finally found the captain's hazy figure (clearly he hadn't died recently; Hector had to have been proud), Wren was too busy gazing off at something off the deck to pay him much attention.

"Hey, Hector, what do you think that thing is? The big stone thing out in the distance?" Wren asked as Hector joined them by the rails.

"What stone thing?"

"The island," Wren deadpanned. "No, the one underwater."

There was a pause before Hector said, "Oh, that one. I have no idea."

"We can't pass over it," Wren said, unfolding a paper in his hands, "but according to Charlotte's notes, that's the only way to get to Scylla's lair."

"What, so we have to anchor the ship, right?" Levi asked.

"Let's get a closer look first," Wren suggested.

"Move the ship south two nautical miles!" Hector shouted at whoever was currently steering the ship.

"What if this is another trap?" Levi asked. "Like the sirens?"

"Oh, it most certainly is," Wren answered. "But we can't prepare for it if we don't know what it is."

"Don't worry, we'll keep our distance," Hector added. "There's no chance we could run aground out here, and we'll anchor a little before we reach it. Take a dinghy out to it or something."

"Fine," Levi relented, but he still felt apprehensive as they approached the underground stone formation.

After they dropped an anchor from the bow of the boat, the crew got out a dinghy, and Hector, Wren, Levi, Francis, Gerald, and Patricia boarded. Pierre was a last-minute addition since nobody else on the Jolly Rancher was willing to deal with him and his incessant grumblings. Wren had entrusted the Jolly Rancher to one of the older crew members, Pete, and the old man's parrot (the temporary first mate), Lord Albert the Great of Alberton.

Francis and Patricia were the ones to row the boat while Wren stood dramatically at the front, one foot up on the prow, waving the Jolly Roger flag above his head. Patricia occasionally sipped at her moonshine while Pierre called out lines of bad poetry in the general direction of the Jolly Rancher as if Charlotte could hear him. Francis was slowly singing sea shanties, adding to the ominous atmosphere and sending chills down Levi's spine. And then of course, there was Gerald, awkwardly avoiding Levi. Levi was starting to wish he had stayed back on the Jolly Rancher. Hector was the only other normal one on the dinghy, and he was too preoccupied with keeping everyone else in line to be good company.

"What is this thing?" Francis asked.

"I think it's a maze," Wren answered as he peered down in the water.

Hector sounded just as confused as everyone else. "How do we get in?"

"Anyone fancy a swim?" Wren returned, already taking his shoes off.

"Stop that," Hector demanded. "It might not be safe. We can't afford to lose anyone here. Plus, we need to report back to the crew on the Jolly Rancher and tell them what we've found before we make any moves."

However, they had no chance to report back to temporary Captain Pete and his first mate parrot. At that very moment, the ocean seemed to open up, swirling violently around them as a massive whirlpool appeared out of nowhere. The little dinghy was swung dangerously in circles as the whirlpool threatened to swallow them whole, and Francis and Patricia lunged for the oars, desperately trying to paddle back to safety.

"Everyone, hold on tight!" Patricia slurred out as her moonshine spilt all over the place.

Meanwhile, Pierre was still more concerned with Charlotte than himself. "Fear not, my love! The ocean cannot hope to wrench us apart! I will come back to you!"

"Hey, Romeo, grab an oar and help us out," Francis snapped, but it was too late. The dinghy had fallen to the depths of the ocean, dragged down by the whirlpool.

So why could they all still breathe normally?

"Damn that witch and her magic," Patricia grumbled as she searched her pockets for more bottles of moonshine. "I should have packed more alcohol. Drinks all around!"

"Where are we?" Levi questioned.

"Under the sea," Pierre provided helpfully. "Oh, Charlotte, if only you could see me now!"

"I think we're in the maze," Wren said, walking forward and gently touching the walls. "It explains why we can breathe."

"Must be some kind of underwater tunnel system," Hector added, walking over to Wren. His footsteps echoed in the musty tunnel, and Levi knew that this would be a struggle for himself. It would be hard to tell the origin of footsteps here.

"At least there's some light," Francis noted.

"Hector, grab a torch," Wren commanded. "You can lead the way."

"No."

"Please?"

"You're the captain. You lead the way."

"Fine."

They followed Wren into the maze, Hector helping to guide Levi as they went. Pierre brought up the rear, belting out love songs at the top of his lungs, reverberating off the surrounding tunnel walls. Levi kept hearing Patricia walk drunkenly into various walls, and he had never been more thankful for Hector's guidance.

It was going to be a very, very long journey.