12. To Fend For Yourself

CHAPTER TWELVE
TO FEND FOR YOURSELF

———

AND THAT'S HOW ESTELA FOUND HERSELF KEEPING WATCH, BERETTA IN HAND, OF THE ORDEAL GOING ON AT KAKEGAWA STATION. Because the Russians hadn't seen Lemon's face already, Ladybug thought that he could step in. Of course, the British accent was quite shitty, and he looked far from as put together as Tangerine (if you ignored the blood smeared along his face.)

Ladybug held up an off-silver briefcase the trio had found stashed away in some luggage compartment nearby. When Estela had found it whilst Tangerine went on a quick loo break before the train pulled to the station, it looked quite badly beaten up, dents littered around it, the remnants of a dry white substance lingering on the handle. It wasn't an attractive briefcase at all.

Briefcase above his head, Ladybug brought his other hand to take a (very convincing) swipe at the combination lock keeping it closed.

What do you think the chances are of taking a random swipe at a combination lock and the buttons scroll into the exact combination needed to open the case?

Yeah, slim to none. But that fucking ladybird cunt still managed to do it.

In front of all of The White Death's henchman, neon light overhead as if to spotlight the two assassins, the briefcase opened, hundreds, or even thousands, of paper cut-outs of cats spilling out into the open air, falling to the floor, and flying out all around them.

Estela's hand shot to her mouth, covering the dropping of her jaw from the men outside.

And what do you think the chances are of that exact briefcase belonging to Estela?

Yeah, slim to fucking none!

Nobody moved. Everyone just stared on in a confusing array of confusion, amazement and fury.

But The Ladybug and Tangerine left no time to waste, and sent a simple look to each other, and were off darting towards the train, Ladybug letting the briefcase go, allowing more cats to grace the air.

The two men barrel-rolled back onto the train just as the doors zipped shut behind them, and Estela rushed over to join them.

As they pulled themselves to their feet, Ladybug offered Tangerine an apologetic expression, who was not offering anything good.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry!" He cried, profusely apologising before Tangerine had even said anything. "I have this bad luck thing—"

"Oh, is that what you call it? You some kinda fucking Disney character now?"

"That was literally my case!" Estela exclaimed, giving her own input into the conversation, still astonished by the coincidence.

"Why do you even bother trying?" Tangerinz sighed in exasperation directed at Ladybug.

The three assassins' words arose in a cluster of arguing, defending, and astonished gasping.

"No, because I really had 'em up until the last moment," Ladybug sighed, leaning against the wall with a soft shake of his head.

"Yeah, that 'last moment' really was quite the turning point, wasn't it?" Estela chuckled. "Their faces just dropped, it was hilarious."