Prologue (MK9): He Must Win

Earthrealm, on the brink of destruction and has become little more than a wasteland. Vultures, scattered around this wasteland, feeding on various carcasses. Kung Lao's dead body, crushed underneath a skeletal hand presumably summoned by Shinnok. Kitana's bloodied hand lies next to him. Scorpion's kunai is buried point deep in the ground while he himself has been impaled upon Sub-Zero's ice blade. Behind him, Hotaru's body is slacked in a seated position, and many other kombatants lie dead, one with a sword impaled in them, another who is Li Mei is upright and impaled on a naginata. Baraka, propped up against a rock in two pieces and Kung Lao's hat has split him in half across his face and chest. In the background, one of his arm blades have been impaled in the back of Sub-Zero. Johnny Cage's glasses have broken and fallen from his face, and Cage's head is missing from the rest of his body. A vulture was now feasting on the intestines of Sonya Blade, who has been sliced in two across her abdomen. Another vulture then flies in and pushes the first off the carcass. The first vulture then flies off and then we see what follows it's flight across towards the Armageddon pyramid. Reptile, a bloodied skeleton and an unidentified ninja lie dead before it, as well as an impaled Jax in the background. Heading further up the pyramid, Bo Rai Cho and Cyrax, Nightwolf and Sheeva (with one of Nightwolf's arrows in her side), Kabal (with a vulture feeding on his corpse), Sektor, Kenshi and Mileena are seen dead. Heading further up, there is Quan Chi's dead body, and the sounds of a struggle can be heard. These sounds continue as the bodies of the zombified Liu Kang and Shang Tsung can be seen, reaching the top of the pyramid. The fire that was once Blaze still burns across the pyramid top. Raiden is then seen falling on the floor, his hat falling off his head as he does so. His red eyes struggle to focus as he tries to sit up to face his tormentor, Shao Kahn.

"Where are the Elder Gods, Raiden?" Shao Kahn asks, knowing he won't get a response.

Shao Kahn laughs as he stalks toward his longtime enemy and picks him up.

"Their pathetic Mortal Kombat shackles me no longer." Shao Kahn says.

Shao Kahn then methodically pounds Raiden across the face several times and then throws him across the pyramid top. In mid-flight, an amulet that was on Raiden's chest falls off and shatters into several pieces. Raiden then crashes onto the floor a moment later. Shao Kahn then draws out his war hammer, which pulses with green magical energy.

"They masquerade as dragons, but are mere toothless worms." Shao Kahn says.

As Raiden rolls over, Shao Kahn slams his boot onto Raiden's chest.

"My venom spreads. It is the end of all things." Shao Kahn continues.

His hammer then glows with a flaming essence while Shao Kahn himself glows the same essence, and it is clear he has absorbed the godlike power of Blaze.

"Armageddon." Shao Kahn finishes.

"Stop!" Raiden pleads, but Shao Kahn ignores him.

"It is done." Shao Kahn says before he picks Raiden up once more. "Your time has passed." Shao Kahn says before he throws Raiden aside again.

Raiden once more struggles to pull himself up and sees the disassembled body of Manado Chujin, earning Raiden a saddened look.

"Ages wasted in foolish resistance." Shao Kahn says as Raiden then spots the broken amulet on the ground. "Now is the dawn of my rule." Shao Kahn finishes.

Raiden then scoops up most of what remains of the amulet in his hand. He then begins an ancient chant as Kahn walks to his side, laughing. The amulet then glows with Raiden's signature blue lightning as the chant continues. Shao Kahn looks down at the fallen thunder god who looked as if he was saying a prayer.

"Yes. Pray to the worms, Raiden. As your world ends..." Shao Kahn says.

He then raises his hammer to smash Raiden into the ground, but before he can, Raiden finishes the prayer with the following words.

"He must win!" Raiden says as his eyes suddenly flash from red to blue and lightning sparkles from them.

Just as Shao Kahn's hammer smashes into his skull, visions of Raiden's past flash into existence.

(Tune in Saturday for the first official chapter of MK9.)