Chapter 16: Guardian for Life: Sheeva

At Sheeva's throne room in Outworld, The queen of the Shokan herself is seated on the throne, a goblet in her hand, flanked by two bodyguards wielding maces two heads taller than their own giant frames. Shang Tsung stands away from the throne, hands behind his back in apparent respect.

"Escort you and your "comrades" to the Soul Chamber?" Sheeva asks.

"Yes." Shang Tsung replies.

"Have you come from the future only to insult me? I am no sword for hire." Sheeva asks.

"This request is far below your present station, your highness. But defeating Kronika depends on us reaching that chamber." Shang Tsung says.

"Why?" Sheeva asks.

"Because we must restore Sindel." Shang Tsung says.

At the name, Sheeva's eyes widen and her face drops in shock, but for a moment.

"My Empress..." Sheeva says.

Nightwolf and Fujin walk into the throne room, carrying a coffin between them, with Zaveer and younger Manado walking beside them. As Sheeva looks on, her expression changes to bewilderment as they set the coffin on a table before the throne. She stands up and walks down the steps from the throne to gaze into the coffin. She looks into the glass covering and takes in the sight of the revenant Sindel.

"You've captured her revenant." Sheeva says.

"Together, Fujin and I can restore her to life." Shang Tsung says.

"Why? To make a slave of her, as Quan Chi did?" Sheeva asks.

"So that she can aid us against Kronika. But you have my vow she will return free of all influence." Fujin assures.

A voice then gains their attention.

"They speak the truth, your highness." The voice says.

Everyone turns to see Older Manado walking towards them, his mask having been removed from his face being held in his left hand. As he stands beside Fujin, Sheeva goes wide eyed at the realization of who it is.

"Manado?" Sheeva asks in surprise.

"Yes your highness, it is I. Not of the past like the one standing beside me, but the one all of Outworld once knew." Older Manado says.

Sheeva looks at him with a mixture of emotions clear as day in her eyes, although it remains unclear exactly what emotions they are. Fujin takes notice of this.

"There seems to me that the two of you have some form of a connection to each other." Fujin points out.

"Like Sindel before me, she became blood-bound to me. Mileena found out shortly afterwards and let's just says that she was not happy about it." Older Manado explains.

"I remember that day. The day she tried to kill me." Sheeva says.

"And she would've, had I not stood to defend you. Took a lot of convincing after that, but then we came to a compromise. That was fifteen years ago. Now it seems that the two of you are now on better terms, seeing that you have been crowned Queen of the Shokan." Older Manado explains.

"Tension tears us apart no longer." Sheeva says.

"I'm glad. But back to the matter at hand, Fujin is right. Sindel, once restored, will no longer be bewitched by the magics that once warped her mind.

Sheeva looks down, conflicted at these words. Shang Tsung slyly notes her apprehension as he starts speaking.

"As Manado explained, you were blood-bound to Empress Sindel." Shang Tsung points out.