Chapter 14: Former Mercenary: Kabal

In Outworld's flesh pits, Kano is trying to save Kabal's life. All that can be heard is heavy, strained breathing, along with occasional sounds of Kabal being operated on. To do this, Kano is using various gadgets that he strewn across a bloodied table. Among the gadgets are a scalpel, scissors, tweezers, a breathing apparatus and a mask. Kano then takes each piece of the breathing apparatus off the table and attaches the pieces one by one to Kabal. Finally, he puts the mask on and Kano finishes the operation.

Kabal's skin is scarred heavily from the burns, but it's no longer looking like charcoal. He begins to wake up, groaning as he does so. It's now apparent to him that he is not where he was before.

"Easy there, mate. You've had a rough one." Kano says.

"Kano?" Kabal asks.

"Heh heh, in the flesh." Kano replies.

"I was... on fire..." Kabal says, remembering what had happened on the bridge.

"Burned to a crisp, you were. Good thing I found ya." Kano says.

Kabal touches the mask on his face.

"I'm hideous..." Kabal says to himself.

"Shang Tsung's magic healed the rest of ya. But your lungs? Yeesh." Kano explains.

"Take it off." Kabal asks.

"Can't. It's permanent." Kano says.

"What?" Kabal asks.

"No mask, no breathing." Kano explains.

"I'm... a freak!" Kabal says to himself as he stands up from the table.

Kano then holds up a pair of hook swords. As Kabal is looking at the rest of his attire, Kano offers the weapons to him.

"Go on. Give 'em a whirl." Kano offers.

"I don't use those anymore." Kabal says.

"Yeah, you're all proper police now. The Black Dragon ain't the same without ya, mate. You should come back. We're in the money on this war." Kano says.

"You sold those monsters their firepower." Kabal says.

"Guilty as charged." Kano admits.

"This is YOUR fault!" Kabal snaps.

"What're you on about, eh?" Kano asks.

He then drops the hook swords.

"You're here, ain't ya?" Kano asks.

"I should be dead! Now you're gonna be!" Kabal yells.

They then fight. Kabal finds out that not only is he still an able fighter, but he finds himself fighting with multiple new powers he didn't have before, including super speed. He gets the hang of these new powers quickly and uses them to completely overpower Kano, knocking him to the ground.

"Now how do I get outta here?" Kabal asks.

"Not so keen on being dead now, are ya?" Kano jokes.

Kabal then retrieves his hook swords.

"How do I get outta here?" Kabal demands, holding a hook sword to Kano's throat.

"Heh, good luck. No one gets outta Outworld with Shao Kahn's say-so." Kano says.

"Outworld? Shao Kahn?" Kabal asks.

"Shao Kahn's the big boss round here, and soon, Earth's new master." Kano replies.

Kabal then points the hook sword closer at Kano's neck.

"Where is he?" Kabal asks.

"Don't bother. You can't get near him." Kano says.