Chapter 20.0

The night was starting to get late and people were starting to depart. The Murphy's came and said another goodbye before they left as well, the poor little ones looked so worn out. The party still had quite a few people around and Arianna was exhausted from all the talking she had to do, she had a few dances with others as well people of high standards that Charles introduced her too. She of course couldn't say no to him, as of now she was having a conversation with Charles about how the night has been and he happily listened. "I'm glad you had a good birthday dear. It makes me happy." He said to her.

"Your Majesty." Samson interrupted. "I'm sorry to barge in but..." He leaned down for only him to hear and Arianna just looked away to give them privacy. 

She turned when she heard a big sigh. "What's wrong?" she asked.

Charles looked at her debating internally. "Arianna, I want you to know that you can refuse." Not another dance she thought of as she held back a groan. "You see we have received a letter."

"Okay?" Arianna asked curiously.

"It's.... It's your parents." Her body chilled. "They apparently would like to hear from you, to say happy birthday."

Yeah right, That was a load of bull if she ever heard it. She has not once talked to them since that day, didn't even have the heart too. She heard the conversations her friends had with theirs, they were warm and talked about everything they could. Kevin thank goodness, was out of the hospital now and at home always excited to get a call from Raine. Raine's parents were doing better as well, her father got a job in Mareen corp as promised, and her mother was happily taking care of the house. Nevaeh's mom was working again full-time and Greg apparently moved in with her to keep her company, Nevaeh talked to whoever was home at the time. Then Jacob who was content being here was enjoying his time with Yazmin but also loved to go to the fire district and watch people work. Arianna has not contacted nor has she heard a word from her parents. She wanted to call, there was a time when she would just sit at the orb staring at it. She was concerned for their health and loved them still dearly. They raised her so how could she not? Yet, they never contacted her either, not a call or a letter. It made her question if they loved her or if they just needed a tool they could use. No one should think that way about their parents, yet here she was. The jealousy she felt towards her friends as she heard how each of them saw a fraction of their real parents, was enormous. They were curious about who they were but they never looked for them like she did. She tried everything she could think of under the radar to find out who they were. Though now she knew why nothing came up, but they didn't even reach out to her. She felt so alone right now and so empty. "Okay." she managed to get out. "I will call them right away then." she bowed.

"Arianna, would you like someone to go with you? I can go if you like." Charles asked. She looked up to her friends as they laughed with the people. "No, I would hate to ruin their fun."

"Then I will..." Charles was about to get up.

"Please, Your Majesty. You need to be concerned for your people right now." Arianna stopped him.

"You are our guest of honor tonight AND part of my people too." Charles emphasized.

"It's okay, I'll be back." She gave him a smile before turning away.

"Promise?" She stopped at the sound of his voice.

She turned to him and nodded "I promise." she continued to the steps and she saw that her friends noticed her as well as the princes. She waved to them and told Zander that she would be back. They all waved with big grins on their faces. The doors opened for her and she exited the ballroom taking a big breath. The tapping of her heels grew louder as she walked away and the weight on her heart was making it hard to breath. The halls were empty of people and made it all the more eerie as she made her way to the room Charles set the orb in. She was convinced that this was not a call for them to wish her a happy birthday. The amount of things that could be talked about was endless in her mind. Asking about school, which she was in a way training but not too much academically. The living situation would be another. She wouldn't hold it against them to ask about Charles himself to get dirt on him.

She reached the door and opened it up to the dark room. The singular window let the moonlight create shadows on the floor. She took a moment to admire the paintings on the walls, each time she came in here she saw something different or noticed a new detail. A wave of numbness went through her, the same one when she went into a museum to admire new exhibits. Her hand came up to the paintings and hovered over them. That is when she saw their portrait that King Richard painted. All of her friends looked straight ahead with a companion. Yet...She touched the part where the dress ended in the portrait, She wasn't looking ahead. She looked at them all, her body curled up and she was alone. No companion with her. She had a feeling that it was meant to be this way, it only made her wonder what the king saw that day. Why was she the one looking at them and not ahead? was it because she was too stuck in the past? Did he see her alone and nobody with her? Was that why she was painted differently from the others? She let out a sigh and closed her eyes. "I love them so much." She whispered as tears started to blur her vision. "But why do I still feel envy towards them for just being who they are. Why can't I just..." She looked at herself in the image. Everyone told her that it was a beautiful picture of her and it captured her perfectly. Yet when she looked at it yes, the girl was beautiful, but she did not see herself sitting on that branch.  If anything she felt more like the bedrock beneath it all, everyone knows that it is their but they do not admire it, they just walk all over it.

Don't cry. A voice rang clear in the room. It made her jump back and turn around, it sounded as if it was right behind her. She looked around quickly but she saw nothing that wasn't there before. Yet, a presence felt like it left her and it was not the voice of Zander. It was a new one that she has never heard before. "Hello?" She whispered. No response. She took a moment and whispered "I must be crazy." Maybe it was the wine she thought. The orb then came into view she steeled herself. "Let's do this."