Six

I prop my chin in my palm and tap my fingernails on the tabletop

I prop my chin in my palm and tap my fingernails on the tabletop. Couples and small groups at the other tables along the beach are already being served. It's beautiful the way the event coordinators have set everything up—white linen tablecloths sway in the sea breeze, candles in crystal jars illuminate the fine dinnerware in a buttery glow, a perfect setup for a romantic evening, and not a solo meal. But that seems to be my fate tonight.

I side-eye the path lined with white lanterns that leads from the manor to the shore. My heart aches like someone has a chokehold on it. I like to think of myself as resilient. After all, I did recover well after last night's wardrobe blunder. But I've turned away three people from sitting at my table, telling them the two seats were already spoken for. This might be the mortification that sends me to my room and keeps me there the rest of the summer.

The server walks past my table for a third time, eyeing my empty glass and plate. Needing to take the edge off, I hold out my wine glass and say, "If you could fill it to the brim, I'd appreciate it."

They don't hesitate to meet my request, bringing the golden liquid just short of overflowing. I whisper thank you, and down half the glass after they walk away. I can't believe Lorelai talked me into having dinner with her and Elias, and then stood me up. It seems so counterproductive when the purpose of this entire summer is to mingle.

Air rattles my lips as I accept my bad luck and focus on the water to ease the sting of it.

"I'm sorry I'm late. I've spent the last twenty minutes waiting for Lorelai, but she failed to tell me that she made last-minute plans with another attendee."

I lift my gaze to Elias as he removes his blazer, draping it over the back of his chair before easing his tall frame down. His fingers work the buttons at his wrists before he rolls his sleeves to his elbows. I'm hypnotized by the last rays of the sun reflecting off his dark hair as it dances around his face. He is such a sharp contrast to our tranquil environment, like sin searching to corrupt the innocent.

He glances up at me through his thick lashes and says, "Is it all right that I still have dinner with you tonight or would you prefer I leave?"

I snap out of my stupor and shake my head, tripping over my words as I blurt, "N-no, please, don't be silly. I'd love it if you stayed."

Damn, Cora. You didn't have to go that far. You'd love it if he stayed? Why don't you just go on and tell him how sexy you think he is while you're at it?

"I mean, I—I've been sitting here waiting for y'all for what feels like eternity. Dinner sounds good, and you're here, so you may as well stay," I say, trying to sound nonchalant, but it's clear I'm just attempting to save face and not look like a desperate woman wanting company.

Elias lifts his hand to eye level and gives the server a nod. Not a single word spoken, and the woman is off to do his bidding. It would appear I'm not the only one who is fascinated with this man.