Chapter 2

A Week Ago...

Elysia's POV:

I closed the door quietly and entered home.

"How did it go?" Suddenly, a hushed voice of my best friend came from right beside me. I jumped, startled at the unexpected movement.

"Sorry, sorry, Mom is sleeping, so I came in quietly. Are you okay?" She gently patted my back.

I took a few deep breaths, calming myself, and nodded. "I'm okay, don't worry. How's Mom?" I managed a slight smile.

"Same as before," she replied in a low voice. We both sighed and sat on the couch.

"I tried asking for an advance salary, but they refused because I'm a contract employee," I informed her, distressed, rubbing my temples. "We don't even have half of the money." I let out a heavy sigh.

"Ely, we've been living together for years. Do you still think of me as a stranger?" She held my hand with concern.

"How can you even say that? Don't ever think like that. You're one of the best things that ever happened to me. I've always considered you as a sister," I answered, shocked by her statement.

"Then why don't you accept my money? We're sisters, right? Let's use my savings and admit Mom to the hospital until we gather enough money for her surgery. She needs regular treatment for her heart, and the hospital can provide the right care. We'll use the savings, and I don't want to hear any complaints from you. If you consider me your sister, I also consider you and Mom as my family, and families do everything for each other." She gently squeezed my hand, her tone final. I looked at her hesitantly, feeling both grateful and uncertain.

In life, it's rare to find people who truly care about you without any ulterior motives or selfish reasons. It's truly rare to find people who love you without any blood relation. My family is an example, a family by heart. Feeling overwhelmingly grateful to God for sending these people into my life, tears welled up in my eyes.

"Thank you, really!" I said, my voice slightly hoarse from suppressing tears.

"Oh, come here, my crybaby." She hugged me, comforting me gently.

The next day, we admitted Mom to the hospital and discussed her treatment details with her doctor. Mom had a serious heart condition, and a considerable amount of money was required for her treatment and surgery. The doctors recommended a heart transplant for Mom to achieve a full recovery because her heart was getting weaker day by day and transplant was the best option. But the money we had were not even enough for the treatment of three months.

We were in the hospital room where my mother was sleeping as usual. Following the doctor's advice, she was on bed rest, struggling to stay awake. I felt relieved because if she overheard us talking to the doctor, she would worry about the money and refuse treatment.  After the doctor left, we sat quietly by the hospital bed, lost in our own thoughts.

"Ely?" My best friend looked at me cautiously, breaking the silence.

"Hm?" I responded absentmindedly. When I looked at her, she seemed to be contemplating something but hesitated to speak.

"What is it?" I asked, giving her my full attention.

"I... I did something behind your back," she spoke hesitantly. I furrowed my eyebrows, feeling confused.

"Please, don't be angry with me, but consider this for Mom, would you?" She gazed into my eyes with worry.

"What did you do? Tell me!" I asked, seriousness in my tone. She smiled guiltily.