Chapter 49

Elysia's POV:

I sighed yet again, my eyes closing briefly before I continue my way towards the hospital.

The restaurant encounter with Aubrey replayed in my mind, injecting chaos into my thoughts. Meeting her after so many years, I didn't expect she would harbor the same contempt.

Then there was Ares.

After I told him everything truthfully, he excused himself abruptly when his phone rang, leaving without a word afterwards. Instead, Maron returned and said Ares had something to deal with so he wouldn't join.

Does Maron think I didn't notice his discomfort?

He was making up a lie for his friend and Maron's hesitant explanation later only confirmed the doubt lingering in my mind when Ares didn't show up to office after lunch.

What should I think if not that he finds it hard to believe me?

Silence, they say, speaks volumes.

...and I did get his answer.

Loud and clear...

I really didn't bother to think about his reasoning this time. Whether he finds it hard to believe me or if he is still in love with Aubrey, I truly don't care to dwell on this matter anymore, I'm exhausted.

I had at least let the truth out and there's no burden on my heart now.

A sudden shiver raced down my spine as a cool wind brushed past. Halting abruptly, creases formed on my forehead and my heart quickened, as a strong feeling of being watched gripped me.

Turning back, I scrutinized the silent roadside. No signs of life. I felt goosebumps forming on my skin as uneasiness gnawed at me.

Resuming my pace, I felt the invisible gaze persisting, a gut feeling that refused to be dismissed. Distant footsteps echoed behind me, making me sharply turn around, only for the sound to vanish.

Someone is definitely here!

And they are watching, I could feel it...

Turning around abruptly, I quickened my steps, nearly running, feeling the distant footsteps reaching closer and closer. As I approached a turn, a familiar figure came into view just a few meters ahead of me.

Relief washed over me instantly, and my breathing gradually calmed. Rushing forward, I embraced her from behind, taking her by surprise. "Beastie!"

She was likely headed to the hospital as well, and she stopped in her tracks upon seeing me, offering a smile. "You're early," she remarked before the smile faded.

"Did something happen, Ely?" she asked, her gaze penetrating mine, noticing my strange state.

The eerie feeling of being watched dissipated as I shook my head, widening my smile.

"Nothing, I just caught you so I ran up to you," I replied, planting a kiss on her cheek. "Oh, right! Did you finish running a test?" I asked, hastily untangling my arms from around her, realizing she had a bone marrow test scheduled for today.

I didn't want to burden her with what had just transpired. We had enough on our plate at the moment.

"Yeah, I did!" she responded, fortunately not detecting anything amiss, but she did glance around, her eyes searching. I studied her closely; she appeared truly fatigued.

Both of us had been pushing our limits to earn money, taking on part-time jobs after our regular work hours. The first time I saw Esme genuinely shed tears was when Mom told her she could call her "mom" like me. Since that day, I witnessed her doing everything for our mother, yet she never sought credit for her efforts. Always quiet, she watched our backs, going above and beyond for us.