Mr. Nietzsche and The Billups

'Many people walk for exercise, but today, in Elmira, a young Englishman by the name of Colin Skinner has taken this a step further: he is walking all the way from New York to San Francisco to raise awareness of hospice programs taking care of the terminally ill.  Today he stopped off at the Southern Tier Hospice in Elmira Heights.'

The smart blonde lady reporter spoke as I walked for the camera.  My clothes were clean, my hair combed and a developing beard covered my face.  I smiled for the camera, but was happy that the walk was finally getting some publicity.

'Colin, could I stop you for a moment?'

'Sure.'

So, tell us, just what is this walk all about?'

'The idea was to do something to grab people's attention, and to focus it on the work that hospices do in caring for people with cancer and other illnesses.  My grandmother died from lung cancer and I worked for a while in a hospital back in England.  There I saw people suffering and thought there must be something I could do to help.'

'Hospices give emotional support, counselling, advice and medical care to patients.  They help the dying, but are not about death... hopsices are about making the most of life, right up until the end.  They give dignity to people and allow them to have control of their lives.  In hospitals, which are all set to cure, often that controla and dignity are taken away.'

'The walk was the best way to reach people.  Along the way I talk to whoever will listen, to let them know that there are groups of people that can help those with life threatening illnesses, but also that they need help, too.  Hospices need more volunteers and they need money, as they take care of people regardless of their ability to pay.  So, in a nutshell, hospices are about caring for people.'

'Now, your walk began in Britain, but why come to the States?'

'The plan was to help as many people as possible.  Britain was where it began, but I wanted to do more, so here I am in America.  Back in Britain I walked and ran 1100 miles, then I flew to New York and started walking from Kennedy Airport on the 15th July.  All my plans fell through, and in New York I ended up sleeping outside the World Trade Center, on the streets with the homeless in the heart of Manhattan.  Since then I've camped out in woods with rattlesnakes, been through thunderstorms and come 300 miles.  There's another four and a half thousand to go and I'll pass through the Great Lakes, the Plains, The Rockies, Death Valley and The Sierras.  There'll be many more adventures and many more hospices between here and San Francisco.'

'So how can people help your cause?'

'If they want to help they can send donations to the Southern Tier Hospice here in Elmira.  If they need help themselves, the hospice is here.  If they want to know more they should get in touch.  When the walk is done I'll return to show slides and tell everyone just what happened on the way through to the West Coast.  In the meantime the hospice in Elmira needs volunteers and money to keep going.'

'Well, Colin, good luck.'

As planned I said goodbye and walked off through the streets of Elmira, with the cameraman following behind.

'Ok, cut.  Colin, that was great.'  My first television interview was in the bag.  The news channel would cut in comments from Kathy Carozza, the hospice director in Elmira, and give the telephone number and address details for the hospice.  At last my show was on the road.

I has spent two days off in Elmira, staying with Jim Pfiffer.  He was a reporter with the Elmira Gazette, who had met me on the road and taken down my story before offering me a place to stay.  So far I'd talked on one radio station and given two interviews to newspapers.  I visited the hospice of Elmira, too.  From there I sent out thirty letters to hospices on my route; to let them know I was on my way.  In the letter I asked them to coordinate plans for publicity between themselves to make the most of the attention I could bring to hospice.  Buffalo was the next place on my list and then Niagara Hospice, which had just opened up in Lockport.  Things were looking good.