{5}

When dawn broke over the horizon, I came to the realization that my old life was a shore I had left.

Nikola made me swear I'd not speak a word about his illness but I was all questions and worry. When I looked at his wound teary-eyed, he took hold of my wrists and pinned me down. "I'm in Italy for a few more days. Then I return to a reality I cannot run away from. Make it beautiful for me, Gianni. I need happy memories to guide me through what comes next."

"I swear to you. I will make it perfect." I nodded and promised I'd pretend he never told me. But inside, parts of me died.

There was silence in the house. I understood we were the first ones up.

"Do you have a bathing suit?" I asked hoping to add sunshine over this gloom.

"No."

Rolling onto him, I touched my nose to his. "Good. I'm taking you swimming."

As I got up and tugged on a pair of shorts and a T-shirt, Nikola chuckled and nodded to the clothes on the floor. "Am I to swim in my suit?"

"No." I grabbed a clean pair of shorts and my favourite green t-shirt and tossed them to him.

"In this?"

I shook my head and pointed to the invisible watch on my wrist. "We've got a handful of minutes until my parents wake and the house is flooded with cleaning staff."

Nikola shook his head but I saw he was smiling. "Where to?"

I watched him with a vivid lack of discretion as he dressed.

"Well, you have already seen it all."

I nodded happily. "Every inch. I bare no shame."

After he dressed, he walked to me and slid his arms around my shoulders. "You amaze me."

"We have ten minutes if we're lucky," I reminded him and we were out in five. I don't think two people ever got themselves ready so quickly.

Any of the maids entering my room would see pillows and sheets scattered on the floor. Yesterday's attire – Nikola's and mine – were under those sheets like hibernating bears. A box of condoms lay half-hidden under my bed. The lid was open and it vomited silvery-blue. The bathroom was no tidier. There were no towels hanging from their hooks any longer. The mirror was covered in water drops, and a sticky stream of minty toothpaste trailed down the side of the sink.

I grabbed two bottles of water. Nikola and I hurried down the path when I heard my mother calling me for breakfast.

With a chuckle, I brought my finger to my lips, grabbed Nikola's hand, and ran all the way out of our property while holding the bottles against my chest like a baby. We only returned to walking when we were out of sight.

Past the vineyards was a cluster of trees creating a miniature forest. In that forest was a pond I often used with my friends for a much-needed swim when summers got too hot.

I set the bottles in the shade. "Here, Nikola. This is where we shall swim." I curled my fingers through his as if we had been lovers in ten previous lifetimes and not ones born twelve hours ago.

"Not with these, I presume?" Nikola playfully tugged at my shirt.

"Nope."

My lover raised a brow.

I tisked impishly. "You're not suddenly shy, are you?"

With a huff, he backed away and pulled his...well, my, green t-shirt off his beautiful body. He dangled the top from his fingertips before dropping it. "Was I shy when I..." he leaned to me and whispered a reminder of the things that had happened last night.