four

<3 <3 <3

On Wednesday, I look for her face in every person I pass. Every hall I go down, I hope to catch a glimpse of her. Maybe just to say hi. To see her smile again. But I don't see her at all.

On Thursday, I do the same. At lunch time, I even go to the canteen, which I don't normally do. She's not there. I head down to the rugby field, wishing time would speed up.

It's not that I'm obsessed with her. And I don't like her or anything. She's really pretty. And really smart. I'm just... curious about her, I think.

When lunch finally ends, for once, I'm in a rush to leave the field. Usually I hang around until the last possible minute and show up to class late. But today, I arrive at the library before the final bell rings. I walk straight through to the back where we sat last time.

I spot her immediately. She's already sitting in the spot she was on Tuesday, her books set out in front of her. She's got her hair in two braids today, sitting perfectly on her shoulders. She glances up and meets my eye, offering a friendly smile.

"Aurora," I murmur deeply as I sit in my seat across from her, dropping my bag onto the ground at my feet.

"Hi, George." She smiles brightly, hands clasped together on top of her books. I notice that her nails are painted light pink. "Did you read the chapter in the textbook that I asked you to?"

I nod and I'm not even lying. "I did. It was boring."

"I never promised it wouldn't be," Flicking open her notebook, she lands on the page we left off. "So, you should be familiar with..."

She starts explaining the next part of the topic, but my focus is on the slope of her neck, the column of her throat, the bridge of her nose, the curve of her cheeks. Absently, I drum my fingers against the edge of the table. I need something to do with my hands.

This continues for a few moments as I do my best to listen to her. Then, she abruptly leans forward, across the table, and covers my hands with her own. I stop, staring at her with wide eyes. She gives an exasperated sigh. "Stop that, George."

"Sorry," I murmur, blood rushing to my cheeks. She's touching me. Her hands are holding mine. Only for a brief moment before she pulls away, sitting back in her seat with a slight shake of her head.

"Bring your chair around here," She says softly, shifting her chair to the side slightly. "It's hard to teach when I'm looking at the book upside down the whole time."

I'm frozen in place for a moment until her words properly register in my head. Then I'm up out of my seat, dragging my chair over to her as quickly as possible. I sit down right beside her, focus intent on her.

She's blushing, head ducked as she spins her notebook around, settling it between us. She clears her throat, chancing a glance at me. Our gazes lock.

"Aurora?"

"Yes, George?"

Any words that I had to say get caught in my throat when I take in a deep breath. Her perfume is all I can smell. My mind goes blank. It's subtle, but I've so quickly become attuned to her, that it blocks out everything else.

"George?"

"Uh, sorry." I glance down. My eyes snag on her legs, the hem of her skirt resting on her thighs, black sheer stockings covering her skin. I blink a few times, realising that sitting this close to her may be a mistake. "Nothing, don't worry about it."

"Okay," She murmurs hesitantly. She goes back to explaining the notes and I go back to staring at her, trying and failing to pay attention. 

~ Pink Flamingo <3