nine

<3 <3 <3

It's especially cold on Thursday. When I got in the car before school, there was a thick sheen of frost on the windscreen. So, I'm bundled up in my school sweater for once, as well as my jacket. I'm wearing a beanie too, pulled down low to cover the tops of my ears.

I'm already waiting in the library early. I left the field before lunch even ended today, just to get here early. Besides, it's absolutely freezing outside, so I'd rather be in here.

When Aurora rounds the corner and comes into view, my heart does a little stutter in my chest. Her hair is down again, long dark curls falling across her shoulders. She's wearing a sweater like me, no jacket. But her stocking aren't as sheer, so I assume they're thicker to keep her warm.

She slumps into the seat beside me, immediately tucking her hands underneath her thighs. "Hi, George."

"Aurora," I greet.

Gritting her teeth, she murmurs, "It's so cold today. Do you think... Can we wait a bit to start? So I can warm up?"

"Of course," I agree immediately, watching her carefully. Her cheeks and nose are red. Without thinking, I take the beanie I'm wearing off my own head and reach over, carefully placing it on her own. I frown to myself, gently pulling it down so that it covers her ears properly.

She stares at me, lips parted. Then she swallows, "Thank you, George."

"Mmhm," I hum, holding my hand out to her.

Her eyes drop to it then meet mine again, "What?"

"Hands," I request softly, curling my fingers as a gesture to hold them.

She hesitates for just a second before lifting her hands from beneath her thighs. I hold both of hers in one of mine. With my free hand, I reach up to loosen my already haphazardly fastened tie until I can unbutton a couple of the buttons of my shirt. Just enough, so that I can lift her hands and press them to the skin of my chest, my hands covering hers. I jolt a little at the cold touch.

The red of her cheeks deepens and she opens her mouth, stuttering, "What—What are you—"

"The chest is one of the warmest parts of the body," I explain softly, smiling down at her, "Learnt that in bio class last year."

She smiles, a little hesitantly, "I'm okay, George—"

"Do you feel warmer?"

"Well, yes, but—"

"Good," I hold her hands more firmly, selfishly relishing in the feel of her skin on mine. My thumbs absently rub soothing circles against the back of her hands. I take in the sight of her, leaning towards me, knees hitting my legs, wearing my beanie with flushed cheeks.

"You're staring," She points out, voice quiet.

"Sorry," I don't stop. "Aurora?"

A content, almost happy sigh, "Yes, George?"

"You have very small hands."

She laughs. The sound is better than any song I've ever heard. "I think yours are just very large, actually. I have perfectly normal-sized hands."

"Maybe," I relent, "You're not wearing a jacket."

Shrugging, she admits, "I lost it last month. Need to get a new one."

"And gloves," I murmur, nodding to myself. "A beanie. Or you can keep borrowing mine."

She laughs again, "George,"

I tilt my head, smiling down at her. "What?"

She shakes her, eyes all bright and fond, "Nothing. You're just... very lovely."

Lovely. "I don't think I've been called lovely before."

"Well, you are." She nods firmly, "Most definitely. Maybe the loveliest boy I've ever met."

Frowning, I mutter, "Maybe?"

Her laugh again. My heart pounds. Can she feel it? I think she's shifted closer to me. "George."

"Aurora."

She studies me carefully. "Why do you call me that?"

"Your name?"

"Yes. I asked you to call me Rory."

"No, you said I could call you Rory and that everyone else does. Do you not like your name?"

"It's not that, I— I just don't hear it too often anymore."

"Do you want me to stop calling you Aurora?"

"No!" She clears her throat, relaxing a little. "No, please don't."

My smile grows, "Okay then, Aurora."

~ Pink Flamingo <3