«Chapter 5»

Daenys' dark and black clothes drifted slightly back and forward with every breeze that drifted past her. Her breath was stuck in her throat as she stared in front of her, listening to Syrax' purrs as the golden she dragon stood a top of a hill.

Daenys was not the only one dressed in black. And whilst she felt horrible, her friend and the King seemed to be in an even worse state. Rhaenyra's eyes were filled with tears as she held onto Daenys who stood next to her. Both of them wore their long white hair down,  if one had not known them they would have said they looked like siblings, as they stared at the altar in front of them.

They did not say a thing. They just simply stared at the figure laying atop of the wood, covered by the work of the Silent Sisters. Daenys did not want to say something, she did not want her friend to force out that one word. To send her mother, and Daenys' aunt, on a final journey. Daenys could hear Rhaenyra's breath tremble as she kept hers in. They kept their arms locked in one another, as if to find some comfort together.

Daenys her eyes drifted to a second smaller pile of wood where a tiny tiny body lay on. Baelon was his name. As far as she had heard the queen died whilst giving birth, unable to bring the babe out. A shiver send down her spine. Much like her own mother had, who had passed away giving birth to a stillborn child when Daenys had been but two years old.

Queen Aemma had been the only true family Daenys had left since then, and now she had faced the tragic end her own mother and Aemma's sister had faced too. How cruel fate could be.

Now Rhaenyra was the closest person Daenys had to her true family, and her niece had to face the same altar and the same fate Daenys had had to face with her own mother.

She felt terrible. She did not want the Queen to be gone, she wanted to be able to hear more about her own mother, she wanted Rhaenyra to be able to visit her own mother. Now none of that could happen again.

"They're waiting for you," Daemon suddenly whispered to Rhaenyra from behind them. Daenys slightly stiffened, she had not heard him coming, before letting go of her friend to leave her with her uncle.

She joined her adopted family in the background and stood next to Laena, who locked her arm in hers and send her a sad smile before the two of them watched on. They could not hear what the two targaryens were talking about, but Daemon's words seemed to convince Rhaenyra to step forward. Causing Daenys to let out a soft breath before her gaze slit to something next to her.

Alicent had joined them without saying a word, sending them the same look Laena had given her as the three of them too tried to find some comfort together. At a time like this, none of them seemed to care about what happened with Alicent's brother as Daenys and Alicent held each others hand. Daenys send the Hightower a slight grateful smile before glancing back at Rhaenyra in front of them: who had stepped forward.

"D-" the princess began, causing Syrax to hesitate as the dragon lifted her head. Then Daenys watched her glance at her father before turning back toward her dragon.

Daenys squeezed Alicent's hand, knowing what was about to come. "Dracarys!" Rhaenyra yelled loudly and quickly, as if she was forcing the word to come out of her mouth. 

Daenys kept close to Laena and Alicent as the three of them watched Syrax decend down from the hill. And as her hot fire hit the pale of wood, both Daenys and Rhaenyra turned their heads away. Not wanting to look as the flames surrounded the two bodies on the altar. Daenys had never liked it when it came to saying goodbye during funerals. She stayed were she was with Laena and Alicent before, after a while, the first nobles started to walk back to the carriages toward the castle.