«Chapter 8»

~~~

A shiver went down Daenys' spine as she quickly put on the gloves she always carried with her. They were black, and made of leather. One had the sigil of a wave, the other of a dragon. Her father, lord Corlys, had it made for her when she turned 13. They had been too big for her small hands at the time. But they'd fit now. Daenys smiled weakly as she studied the gloves before putting them on. The gloves, and the storm of last night, kept reminding her of her home.

It was a week after Daemon had suggested her to join him at the Dragonmont. Yet he had never showed. And she had walked all the way for nothing. Ser Luthor had spend most of the time with her during the rest of the week, letting her explore the castle of Dragonstone. And to think this all could have belonged to her mother if the noblemen hadn't taken it right out of her palm.

There was one thing she had come across that kept her occupied during the most of the days. Dragonstone's library. It was smaller than the one af the red keep. Yet it contained ancient books, written in Valyrian. Back to the days of Maegor 1 and even his parents, Visenya the conqueror and Aegon the conqueror. The Targaryen's ancestors.

After struggling to understand what was written inside of the books, maester Gerardys had suggested he'd teach her the Valyrian language. She still couldn't read most of the pages but she got better at it with each day that passed. And each day, she did not spot Daemon at all. Making her wonder what he had been up to.

So, after more than a week, she found her way to the dragonmont once more. Ser Luthor had informed her, again, Daemon wanted to introduce someone to her. Who, she did not know...

And yet, the corridors had been filled with whispers on her way down. Servants, hurrying down the hallways to carry out their tasks whilst whispering the latest bit of gossip to each other. Almost not giving a care about daenys' presence. The Targaryen girl bit on her nails as she walked on, pondering. Her mother had sunk in a great wave of grief, her father had gone cold. Laenor refused to leave Kings Landing, with Rhaenyra helping him search for her on their dragons. And Laena? Amidst the current chaos, she had almost been given to King Viserys to be his new wife.

King Viserys' new wife. He was old enough to be her father. Even old enough to be Daenys' father. Yet King Viserys had refused. And now, her father, Lord Corlys, had returned to Driftmark out of rage. Having lost one daughter and another to a failed marriage proposal. Now two seats at the council remained empty.
Those of the rogue prince and the sea snake. And who could properly rule a kingdom with half of its councilmen missing? However, what suprised Daenys the most, were two other parts of gossip.

The King had sent out an envoy of white cloaks throughout Kings Landing and beyond. White cloaks which Daemon had refused to enter Dragonstone. Had the King sent them out to find her? Daenys guessed Otto must have been behind it— probably hoping to find her and drag her back to Oldtown to marry his eldest son.

But she'd do no such thing. And luckily, she now had the Rogue Prince at her side— eventhough he could be quite scary. And with the deal the two had made, no one would find out of her whereabouts, and no one would reach for her considering Daemon longed for more power in the Kingdom through her visions. The latter, of which they still had not talked about.

Daenys' purple hues glanced up as she heard ser Luthor speak. The man had been appointed to be her personal guard and guided her to most places. Right now walking at her side toward the Dragonmont. Daenys had started to take a liking to him and the other gold cloaks. Especially since Luthor hadn't reported any of her nightmares back to Daemon, or so she thought. The first week, she had found their presence scary and threatening. But after spending a few weeks with them, she had found out their presence wasn't all that bad. And she even started to enjoy listening to ser Morris and ser Luthor's tales of battle.