Chapter 11

*Wren's P.O.V*

"I do not think that getting a cat will help you solve your emotional issues my darling," Citra says, her voice soft as she follows me into the issue.

"I'm not getting a cat to solve my issues, I'm getting one so that I can ignore them. Duh," I roll my eyes. Didn't she understand that was what all adults did? I open my refrigerator and start to dig through it. Just because I couldn't survive on human food doesn't mean that I can't still eat it even if it offers no nutritional value.

I huff as I shut my fridge, realizing that it has nothing that I want. I turn around, squeaking when I realize that Citra is right behind me. Couldn't the woman be a little louder when she walked? It was scary that she could just appear behind me without any warning.

"I should rephrase," Citra says as she tilts her head, her blood red eyes narrowing slightly. "You do not need a cat. Mortal creatures do not get along well with vampires. They can sense the fact that we are undead," she informs me. She didn't outright say what I had come to the conclusion to so I just said it for her.

"So I can't have a cat cause it will think I am a monster," I say quietly, frowning. It wasn't fair, I should be able to have a cat! Even cats think I am a monster!

I lean against the counter as I frown, biting my bottom lip until blood comes to the surface. Citra grabs my face, forcing my head up. Her thumb is on one side of my face and the rest of her fingers on the other side of my face.

"Stop hurting yourself," Citra says, her voice cold. It's got this hint of authority to it that is almost hypnotizing so I freeze up, my mouth opening up slightly. It's almost completely against my will and I look at Citra with wide eyes.

"How did you do that?" I ask with a frown on my lips, furrowing my eyebrows as I look at her.

"I am a member of the Council, I have certain abilities," Citra says. I can feel the blood running down my bottom lip, sliding down my chin until it drops onto the side of her hand between her thumb and pointer finger.

"You can't just boss me around like that though," I argue as I feel the skin on my lips heal. My tongue swipes over my chin to lick the blood off and Citra lets go of my face, looking at my blood that is resting on her hand.

"I can actually dear," Citra says as she wipes the blood off with a rag that is hanging on one of the kitchen drawers. I frown at that since now the white cloth has blood on it. It will probably be stained now.

"Why?" I ask. Her being a member of the council shouldn't mean that she was automatically my boss, that didn't sound fair at all.

"I have been entrusted with seeing that you get a proper education for a vampire. While you are under my tutelage I will not allow you to hurt yourself. You seem to do it quite often," Citra states and I turn my head away, feeling shame run through me at her words. That was the truth but she didn't have to say that.

"I don't do it that often," I lie, the words sounding false even as I said them. I still hoped she would believe them but I could tell by the look in her eyes that she didn't believe me at all.

"Of course you don't, darling," Citra says as she frowns slightly. "And I will very politely request that you not call yourself a monster," she states.

"But I am one," I mutter as I avert my gaze, not being able to even look at her.

"You are not. Just because some mortal things can not be around vampires does not mean that you are a monster," Citra says, her tone stern. "I cannot change how you think of yourself, not right away but I promise you that you are not a monster and never have been," she informs me.

"I have to drink blood to survive. Usually people have to die in order for me to do so. That is how most vampires hunt isn't it?" I question as I raise an eyebrow.

"Yes. Are you saying that I am a monster for hunting to survive?" Citra asks, her tone slightly acidic. I quickly realize that I have made a mistake with my words and I shake my head, not able to speak.

"Are we?" Citra repeats the question as her eyes narrow slightly.

"No," I whisper after a moment.

"I don't believe that you mean it," Citra says and I open my mouth to protest. She holds her hand up and I close my mouth, not wanting to anger her.

"You think we are monsters and I am sure that you think everyone that is a vampire is. Perhaps because you have a low self esteem or perhaps you have been left with a bad opinion of all vampires because the one who turned you was not a good one but I do think it would be wise for you to not call yourself a monster around other so-called monsters," Citra states. I slowly shrink down under her gaze, feeling rather small at the moment.

"Citra," Viola's voice catches both of our attention and I slip past Citra as soon as I can, latching onto Viola who wraps her arms around me. My face is buried into her chest and I don't move as she moves her hand up to play with my hair.

"Perhaps I was a bit harsh," Citra says carefully. I don't even dare look at her,  my face was still buried in Viola's chest.

"Come darling," Viola murmurs as her hands slide down my back and I squeak when she picks me up. She rests me on her hip but I'm frozen in place, now too scared to even move. I had never been carried like this, not that I could remember at least. I would still let her hold me though, it was pretty comfortable.