two.

CHAPTER TWO.
( similarities. )

The first day of working at the Garrison was slowly coming to an end

The first day of working at the Garrison was slowly coming to an end. It was very early in the morning, nearly three o'clock, in fact. The pub had been crowded with men all night, some having been there since the pub opened. Florence was exhausted. She had never experienced working in a pub that busy before. She had spent the whole evening making drinks and talking to the men who approached her at the counter. Some were friendly and some were not, but Florence was well-versed in rolling the rude encounters off her shoulders.

When the men had settled down and weren't ordering drinks as frequently, Harry gave Grace and Florence permission to perform a few songs. The three of them agreed that the men inside the pub would enjoy it, and since The Blues had won their game, it was the perfect time to celebrate with some music.

So, the girls took their places. Grace was standing on the counter while Florence was seated at the piano. She was waiting for Grace to nod to her as a signal to start playing, and when Grace finally did so, the woman began to play a tune that many of the men seemed to have recognized.

"I am just a young girl..." Grace started a few moments after Florence began to play. "I have just come over..."

As the music filled the room, the men grew quiet. Everyone listened to Grace's voice and some watched as Florence delicately tapped the keys of the piano.

"And since I have a lover..." Grace's eyes moved over the crowd as they listened. "I don't care a fig..."

All at once, the men joined in. "The boy I love is up in the gallery, the boy I love is looking at me!"

The atmosphere of the pub quickly changed. Florence couldn't help but grin at all of the men singing along with Grace. She loved when drunk men sang, even though it was like nails on a chalk board. But the way music brought everyone in the room together was so beautiful.

Florence could hear the front doors creak open, but she couldn't see who had just walked in. The men's singing began to die down until it was only Grace singing again. Florence was too focused on the music to think too much about what was going on around her.

It was Thomas Shelby who had just walked in, along with two other men. He was not expecting to hear music when he entered the pub. He watched Grace for a moment as he took off his cap before averting his eyes over to Florence. Her back was turned to him, but even still he could see how passionately she was playing the piano for the men surrounding her. He could see her fingertips delicately playing each note. At one point he caught a glimpse of her face; her eyes were shut and her lips were lightly curved into a smile.

Thomas moved so that he was able to get a good look at her. He leaned against the pillar beside him, finally able to see the details of her face. Now knowing who she was, he could see the resemblance of William in her features. He wondered why it hadn't clicked in his mind before. Thomas could still hear Danny's voice in his head, urging him to apologize to Florence. William would kill you if he was still 'ere and found out you called his sister a whore.