𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞, 2

i sit in the passenger seat. we sit in awkward silence, until i broke it.

"can we talk?" i asked.

"no." he said.

"jeremiah please." i said.

"how-how have you been since-"

"i'm okay." he cuts me. again.

"because, you know, i'm here. if you ever need to talk. even if you hate me." i said.

"i'm telling everyone you kidnapped me." i said.

"please. you jumped at the chance." he said.

"yeah, only cause i've never seen a snowy beach before." i said.

"me neither." he smiled.

"last time i checked the weather out there, there was only a 30% chance of flurries, but hopefully we'll get lucky." he said.

"hey, did susannah like the bike you got for her for christmas. the one with the basket, right?" i asked.

"yeah. yeah, she loved it." conrad said. "thanks to you. i was just gonna get her a bathrobe."

"i know, that is what steven got mom this year." i said.

"really?" conrad asked.

"mhm. boys are awful at giving presents." i said.

"hey! i got you that necklace, didn't i?" he asked, his hand grazing the pendant.

"but honestly, i don't think she would have cared what i got her." conrad said. "you have no idea how happy she is that you're are my girlfriend." he continued and i smiled.

i remember susannah telling me how she always wanted me to be with conrad. it's finally happened. of course, she'll be happy.

"she always wished for it." i smiled.

"hey, i haven't told anyone yet, but i think i'm going to switch my major to biology." he said.

"really? wow." i chuckled.

"yeah. i want to go premed." he said. "i thought i wanted to go into the research end of it, but no, i think i'd rather be working with actual people."

"because of susannah?" i asked and he looked at me nodding before turning back to the road.

"she's getting better, you know." conrad smiled and i wish to capture that smile of his.

it's the kind of smile, he gives when he talks about susannah getting better. it's so grateful and warm.

"will you try, uh, conrad again?" jeremiah asked and i nodded.

i call and wait but it keeps ringing. "no answer." i said to him, disappointed.

"we haven't actually talked since the funeral.." i said to him.

"what the hell happened?" he asked.

"apart from the fact i told him to go to hell? i saw him, resting his head on his ex lap while she played with his hair." i said. the tire bumps, and i flinch.

"shit." jeremiah said, as the car stops. we stand outside the car, staring at the car.

"we can change this ourselves. its not that hard. my mom taught me before i took my driver's licence." i said.