٧ - sab'a

Why should that charming beauty, like the mid-day sun ablaze,
Hide herself behind the veil, when none at her can gaze.

Mirza Ghalib

THE ROSES SWAY in their bushes

THE ROSES SWAY in their bushes. The early morning breeze plays around them and carries away their scent with it. It's drizzling again, the raindrops soft like a feather caress against her skin. Rahaf hugs her scarf tighter around herself against the cool whispers of the wind.

Besides her, Adara seems unbothered. Her sharp eyes remain on her husband who stands further away from them with one of his officials, discussing something. A while later, Kanan joins Aswad. Rahaf continues to watch them, while Adara breaks her stare a moment later.

"How do you feel about marrying Kanan, Rahaf?"

Though she asks her the question casually, Rahaf can understand her reason behind posing it to her. Aswad must have discussed the matter with her. But she doesn't know whether her sister-in-law is asking her out of her own curiosity or upon her brother's request.

"Why makes you bring this up?" Rahaf inquires.

"Aswad thinks he might not be the best man for you to marry."

She glances at Adara. "Does he?"

"Tabrez overhead your conversation with the admiral. He informed Aswad about it. Your brother didn't like it."

Her gaze fixates again on Aswad and Kanan. Kanan is telling him something now. Adara follows her eyes.

"He wants me to know what you think."

"Do you mean to ask if I like him?"

"Do you?"

Rahaf holds onto her quiet despite knowing the answer of her heart.

"This is a betrothal your father made." Adara wraps her arms around herself as the breeze blows stronger. "This isn't only years long friendship between the families, but your commitment to each other for so long as well. Aswad worries how you might take it if this comes to an end."

"It might not affect me as much as you worry. But I'm afraid if this betrothal ends, it might create problems for Aswad," Rahaf voices her concerns. "Kanan belongs to a family which holds power and status. I don't want to make things difficult for my brother."

"That doesn't mean you sacrifice yourself for him, Rahaf. This isn't what he wants from you."

There's silence between them. The drizzle continues to fall as gently. The sun today is a dim lamp above them. The sky is a blend of pale blue and gray. Hamama is running in the distance. Her caretaker chases after her. Everything seems tranquil, yet the winds of winter tell other stories.

"He cares for you greatly," Adara says after a while, sounding pensive to her. "He may not say it, and he may not be the most expressive man either, but he does care. I know you've been closer to Ameer Tahman than Aswad, but he loves you as much as Ameer Tahman did, if not more."