١٦ - sitta 'ashar

In this world there are only two things that can take my breath away— you and death.

Adam Auzailaya

He stands outside a mosque at the corner of the street

He stands outside a mosque at the corner of the street. The prayer call to maghrib is called. His eyes lazily go from one person to the next passing before him. They enter the mosque. But Maymun wouldn't. His searches for his friend among them. Why did he even agree to meet him here?

"Between faith and disbelief is the abandonment of salah," someone says to him.

Furat looks at the person. He's an elderly man with a gray beard. The stranger smiles at him.

He wishes to tell him that he lost everything before it came to this. But he refrains from speaking of it and replies instead, "Certainly no soul shall bear the burden of another soul."

"Indeed. But it was my duty to advise you."

"You've fulfilled your right towards me."

The old man walks away at his answer. Furat moves a little further away from the mosque where he cannot be seen but where he can spot Maymun if he decides to show up.

Now no more people are filling the mosque. The prayer has started. He can hear the recitation being made. Furat looks at the deserted street around him.

"Our Lord, indeed we have heard a caller calling to faith, [saying], 'Believe in your Lord,' and we have believed."

His attention shifts to the recitation.

"Our Lord, so forgive our sins and remove from us our misdeeds and cause us to die with the righteous."

He stands there, listening to the rest of it until there's silence and his chest feels hollow. He sighs, as if letting go of a burden over him, half troubled and half relieved, turning his face to the darkening sky.

"Bless my mother who believed in Your word, and forgive Farya for she was innocent and helpless," Furat prays, asking for nothing more— nothing for himself.

He begins to make his way back to where he left his horse, thinking Maymun might not be coming to meet him. But fortunately finds him on his way towards him. His friend raises his hand in the distance to greet him. Furat doesn't return his gesture.

"Damn your lies. Do you know how long you made me wait?" Furat scolds when he comes nears. Maymun only laughs.

"Something came up."

"An opportunity to get more gold that you forgot about our meeting?"

"I'm not a noble like you. I've to work hard to earn."

Furat shrugs him off when he tries to fling his arm over his shoulder.

"Manipulation is hard for you?" he mocks.