Chapter 3: The Man Behind It All

My eyes close and I wake up again. Another flash. I see the man who took me from the bathroom, he is outside of the now parked car. He looks worried as he speaks to someone out of view.

  I'm weak and my head hurts like hell. I sit up and creep towards the door behind me. I managed to open it, then I slowly crawl out of the car, onto the gravel road.

  My body trembles as I crawl around. I flinch when I hear the roar of a car. I look back and see a man step out of a black car. I look at the license plate. The same numbers as the car from this morning.

  Black fancy shoes step out of the driver's side and it crunches in the gravel.

  "You think just getting her hurt wasn't bad enough, so you leave a door open for her." Says a new male voice. This one is more deeper, sexier, than the man who took me is.

  The new man kicks the door I had crawled out of, shut. He looks at me and sighs. He kneels down,.I wish I wasn't seeing double so I can see what his features were.

  The new man brushes my hair aside and gently presses above my right eyebrow. I gasp and squeeze my eyes shut as tears form. I quickly yank my head away and put my hand to cover the wound. The new man looks at me wide-eyed.

  He stands up and pulls out a gun. It's a small hand gun. A 1911 A1 ULTRA 10MM PISTOL 8RD G10 BLACK GRIP - 56870.

(The gun he holds)

(The gun he holds)

  He shoots the man who took me. Then he puts the gun away, tucked into his back pockets, and he kneels down to me again.

  "Don't worry babygirl, everything is alright now.. I promise." He says softly as he gently lifts me up and holds me in a similar way the other guy did.

  My legs dangle over his right forearm, while my arms and next to his chest. I'm turned towards him and I'm in a slight curled-up Position.

  My hair dangles over my upper back and over his left hand and down a bit. It sways as he walks, only now do I realize it's out of the ponytail it was once in.

  He carries me to his car and sets me in the front passenger seat. I'm still weak, but now I tremble in fear.

  "It's ok babygirl.." he says to me.

  I know not to get on his bad side. After all, I watched him shoot someone.

  "Just behave, and you won't get hurt.. just play your part." He tells me.

  Then my eyes shut. The last sign I see, is one saying it's nearing the border. He's taking me out of my home country. Canada, and into north America. My eyes widen a tiny bit before they fall shut.

  He rubs my thigh. "everythings all right babygirl."

  My eyes open slightly. Just enough to for me to realize he's carrying me. I flinch and kick him out of reflex.

  It was too late to back out. I spot the front door and I sprint for it. He grabs my ankle and yanks me back.

  He sighs and chuckles. "Ashley." He says.

  That's my name. How the hell did a stranger know my name. Unless he's not a stranger. I stop and look at him.

  I've seen him. Everywhere.

The world so dark,
Just like your hair.
The evening fire,
Burns within your glare.
The rocks on the ocean,
As sharp as your jaw.
Your shaved beard,
Makes me shiver in fear.
The cold look in your eye,
Puts me back like mouse pie.
Oh you, why are you here.
Or there then in the black sedan,
The one that had its turn blinker on.
The one I failed to acknowledge as the one,
I've seen so many times.
After school.
At home.
At the library.
At the coffee shop.
At the mall.
All the same.
You.
Why are you, the one.
The man behind it all?