chapter seven: grilled cheese

A week later, Natalia and Mary were sitting at the small table in their room, having breakfast.

"Aren't you hungry?" Mary asked her friend when she realized she wasn't eating.

"I am, but I really don't wanna eat that" Natalia replied with a slightly disgusted facial expression. She stirred the cereals one more time, but then put the spoon aside. She hated raisins with her whole heart.

"I'd rather have some grilled cheese" Natalia said with a sigh.

Mary let out a chuckle, "I think I have to disappoint you there. We don't get that, I mean, I guess you could order one in the kitchen, but that wouldn't be free for us either"

"I know" Natalia mumbled and then got up, "I'll do my hair quickly, you can have mine too. If you want" she added and pointed to her food.

In the bathroom she brushed her hair and then braided it, because Mrs. Jackson didn't want the maids to wear their hair down.

When she was done, she brushed her teeth and then looked at herself in the mirror. First her face, and then her stomach.

Natalia lifted her shirt and stared at her reflection. She was eight weeks pregnant. But she actually only looked like she was bloated.

With a sigh, she put her hands on her stomach and closed her eyes. She didn't know how, or even if she should tell Mr. Peña. In any case, she can't hide it much longer.

Maybe she should just tell him that she's been pregnant for more than 8 weeks, so that he wouldn't even think about being the father.

But then she was torn from her thoughts by the door and Mary stared at her roommate in shock, "What are you doing?" she asked with wide eyes.

"Fuck Mary, don't scare me like that. and I wasn't done yet" Natalia said annoyed and pulled her shirt down again.

"Yeah I can see that, so- I'm sorry to ask, but you're pregnant? Or why did you that with you stomach?"

Natalia sighed and closed her eyes again, "Yes" she whispered.

"Oh, shit okay" Mary replied, still in shock.

After a long talk about her pregnancy - without telling her who the father is - it was time for both of them to start work.

So Natalia made her way to Mr. Peña's office and when she opened the door she stared into the room in shock.

"Fuck Natalia, leave!" Mr. Peña said with a groan.

"Shit, I'm so sorry" she whispered and left his office again.

After closing the door behind her, she leaned her head against the cold wall. Fuck, she had just caught her boss getting a blowjob.

She's only been working for him for a month and has already caught him twice. Well, the first time she didn't really catch him, the woman just came out of his office while Natalia wanted to go in. But still. You don't wanna see that from your boss. Especially if you'd slept with him yourself. And especially if she's pregnant by him.

She just stood there with her eyes closed for a few seconds to process what she had just seen.

And then the door opened again. "Natalia?" she heard his voice.

"I'm really sorry, Sir" she said without looking at him. She stared at the ground beneath her feet and noticed that woman walking past her.

"It's okay, you can come in now" he told her. She looked up again and entered his office.

"Sorry bout that Natalia, I didn't realize it was that late. I thought you were coming in an hour or so" he explained.

"Well, Sir, at least you had fun" she said, "At 8am" she then added. Who the fuck gets a blowjob at 8am?, she thought to herself.

He sat back down in his chair with a big grin and opened a folder in front of him on the desk.

"Do I have to clean under the table too?" she then asked.
Because she really didn't want that. A few seconds ago that woman was still sitting there.

"No, it's okay" he said and Natalia nodded. And just as she was about to start cleaning the windows, he interrupted her.

"Have you had breakfast yet? I'm damn hungry right now" he asked her.

"Oh, uh, should I get you something, Sir?" she asked him politely.

"No, Natalia, I asked if you had already eaten. I'll have it brought up. Do you want something too?"

She thought about it for a moment. She's had cravings for a grilled cheese sandwich for days. And she still had exactly 10 dollars in her pocket - and with that she could buy one. And in two days she will get her first salary anyway.

"Uhm, do they maybe serve a grilled cheese sandwich in the restaurant?" she asked.

"Grilled Cheese? No" he replied with a chuckle.

"Oh, okay" she replied disappointed and Mr. Peña studied her face for a moment. She apparently only wanted exactly this dish.

"You know what? I'm sure they can make one, we have bread, and we have cheese. It shouldn't be a problem" he told her and watched the smile on her face grow.

"Really? Thank you!"

Half an hour later, when the food was on his desk, Natalia was quite surprised that Mr. Peña was okay with her eating with him.

He watched her shortly after she had finished eating, "You wanna tell me what's going on with you?"

She looked at him confused, "What do you mean?"

"Well, you said you're sick"

"Oh. yeah, it's not that important, Sir" she replied.

"Health is always important, Natalia"

She stared at him nervously, "Thank you again," she murmured, and pulled the $10 bill out of her pocket.

"What are you doing?" he asked confused.

"Well, that's for the sandwich"

"You're kidding, right?" he asked with a chuckle.

"Uh, no. I want to pay for it" Natalia knew he wouldn't want to take it, as far as she knows he's a fucking millionaire. But she didn't want to appear rude.

"Put it back, I invited you, okay?"

"Oh, okay, I- thank you" she replied honestly.

"You're welcome. I want you to have breakfast with me more often. It's pretty boring alone"

Natalia felt herself blush, "Well, you weren't alone this morning either"

"But that's not the same, you know?"