chapter ten: threat

Natalia wasn't late on purpose. She was sleeping and forgot to set an alarm. And when there was a knock on her door shortly before 3, she didn't hear it either.

She slept while her boss stood in front of her door. And when she still didn't respond after the next knock, he began to worry a bit. After all he is probably the father of her child.

Then he opened the door a crack without going in, "Natalia?"

He heard something shuffling around, but still there was no reply. After a sigh, he decided to open the door and step inside.

The left bed was empty and neatly made. And in the right bed lay Natalia. She was still wearing her uniform and wasn't covered up. The night light was on and her hand was on an open book. Her other hand was on her stomach and she was breathing evenly. He glanced at the book, but wasn't sure what she was reading, since it was in Russian.

And even though Natalia was sleeping, she looked damn exhausted. Javier immediately felt guilty. He was sure it was his fault, because he might not have treated her quite right.

So he decided to let her sleep. He carefully took the book, put the bookmark between the pages and laid it on the small table by her bed.

It was a bit cold in her room, so he covered her with the blanket. Javier looked into her face for a few more seconds, and then quietly left her room again.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

The next time Natalia woke up, it was completely dark in the room. Confused, she sat up and turned on the lamp on the bedside table.

And when she checked the time on the little clock, she got up in shock. "Fuck" was all she said before she ran into the little bathroom that was attached to Natalia's and Mary's room.

She was still wearing her uniform, so she quickly fixed her hair and then left her room. And just as she was about to run to the elevator, someone grabbed her wrist and pulled her back harshly.

Startled, she turned around and saw another maid standing in front of her. She didn't know her name, but she had seen her many times in the hotel.

"Natalia, right?" the other woman asked with a disgusted expression on her face.

"Uh, yeah?" she asked back confused.

"So you're the one fucking the boss now?" she asked while still not letting go of Natalia's wrist, just squeezing it tighter.

"What? No?" Natalia replied immediately.

Still, she was starting to worry. Did this woman somehow find out about their night in Philadelphia?

"Why was he in your room then?"

"He was never in my room"

"I saw it myself, stop lying you little bitch"

"I'm not lying" Natalia said and freed her arm from the tight grip. She stared briefly at her wrist and noticed that dark spots were already forming.

"Let me tell you something. You're new and you have no idea how this works, okay? You're here for a few weeks and got this position? My position! Don't you think you're something special just because he's fucking you now, okay?"

"I'm not sleeping with him, I'm cleaning his room" Natalia replied angrily. She doesn't want to hear those accusations. And yeah, she slept with him, but not in his hotel. She gets paid for cleaning his rooms, not for sex.

"I know how it is, sweetie. He picks one of us, she cleans for him for a few weeks or months and then he sends her back because he gets bored. I'll give you a couple of weeks" the woman said with a grin.