33 // A Role To Play

❥ EVERETT'S POV

EVERETT'S POV

"Time to gear up," Gavin says to his men. "We've got a meeting with Ghost."

A dangerous spark lights up in every man's eyes, except for Everett, who suddenly feels nauseous.

It's never been easy for him to watch Knox leave. The chances of the man coming back alive tend to decrease with every mission he goes on, and with them becoming more frequent as the war with The Jackals intensifies, Everett's far-fetched dream of them one day turning into something other than two people just fucking around becomes even more improbable.

"That idea that Finn and Knox had suggested—sending Ghost a text from the dead Jackal's phone—worked," Gavin continues, appearing oblivious to Everett's presence. "This is our chance to finally catch that son of a bitch, and if we're successful, which we will be, we can get him to tell us where that footage from the club is. Even better, tell us where the fuck Russell has been hiding. Without a leader and their VP, The Jackals are as good as dead. Any questions or concerns?"

The image of Knox walking out on him makes Everett do something he never once imagined doing since moving into The Fallen Angels' clubhouse—offer to be put on the front line.

"I, uh, just realized you probably didn't know I was here, and I'm sorry for not taking off like the girls..." Everett sets his plate on the table and rises from Knox's lap to stand, bravely meeting Gavin's gaze. "I don't know anything about what you just said because no one here tells me shit, but I want to help. Is there anything I can do for this mission?"

"Everett." Knox swiftly interjects as he also stands. Fury settles on his face at Everett's absurd request. "The fuck do you think you're doing right now?"

"I'm trying not to be dead weight." Everett turns to face Knox, squaring his shoulders to look confident despite anxiety ripping him apart on the inside. "You and your brothers took me in when you didn't have to, and I've been living under you guys' protection for weeks. You, specifically, continue to put yourself in danger to protect me, my friends, and my family." The members are deathly quiet, all eyes now on them. "I hate feeling like a burden, so I want to help."

"No." Knox grabs Everett's hand, tugging him to his side with a low growl. He then looks to his leader. "He ain't participating in shit."

"Knox!" Everett protests. "I can make my own decisions."

"Not when it comes to club business; I make those decisions for you." Knox's voice has an edge to it that Everett isn't used to hearing. It sends a chill running down his spine, yet he refuses to back down. "This conversation is over. Get your ass upstairs."

"No—" Everett snaps.

"Just adding my two cents," Gavin interrupts, stepping closer to the couple. "I get you're unfamiliar with how things work around here, but Knox claimed you, kid. So, technically, what he says goes."