« ticking timer »

"I win, Heiress." 

Jameson looks up from the chess board, a smile flickering on that vicious mouth of his. The candlelight we're playing by is burning slowly, a ticking timer that reminds us of how long we've been sitting here. 

We had set the stakes high. A night in his bed if he won. We didn't bother to discuss what that would entail. I'm sure Jameson had a plan. He always seemed to. 

"It appears you have," I admit as I admire the chess pieces that are scattered across the wooden board, most of them knocked over by a sweep of Jameson's hand. I look into his emerald eyes, captured by their beauty. 

He grins, rather sloppily; just how I like it. 

"What's going on in that mind of yours?" Jameson arches one of his elegant brows. 

I glance away, a sharp intake of breath hitting my lungs. I'm not thinking about his hot abs... or his muscular arms... or his unruly hair that he can't seem to contain, no matter the event. 

"I'm not thinking about you." I lie, poorly. Jameson grins wickedly, causing my heart to drop to my feet. 

"What a shame." He says, fiddling with one of the black pawns.

"Would you like me to change that for you, Heiress?" Jameson looks up, his suggestion sending a flood of butterflies through my stomach. 

"That depends," I scoot closer to the edge of the couch, looking him in the eye, "What does your plan look like?" 

"My bed, sheets all over the floor, your lipstick on my neck, your naked body entangled in mine." Jameson proposes, his tone casual.  

"Hm. A scandalous way to end this evening." I nod, inching closer to Jameson, to his heat, to his perfection. "Well, what if your brothers find out and tell the world about how you kissed me and kissed me and kissed me, until I passed out?" 

"Are you adding to my plan?" Jameson touched my chin with his thumb, cocking his head to one side. "You're giving me ideas, Heiress. Very dangerous ones, at that." 

"Should I suggest more?" I grin. 

"The more the merrier." Jameson leans in closer, closer, until our lips brush and I'm left of the edge of the cliff of almost and promises. 

I break the wall of protection and with a kiss, Jameson blows the candle out, blanketing the room in silent darkness.