22. Almost Out of Time

Chapter Twenty-Two:

Almost Out of Time

-----

Harriet knew it wasn't exactly proper, but she also knew today she needed them. So needless to say, Harriet was now the proud wearer of a pair of trousers that she had nicked from Thomas Landon's room the night before. Estella helped her roll up the pant leg, as Harriet was considerably shorter than Thomas, but once she was done both of the girls stood up to admire their work.

They would be perfect. With all the running that Harriet was going to be doing, she needed her legs free to move fast without the hinderance of a dress' skirt.

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Harriet asked Estella as they both walked into the hallway at the top of the stairs. Last night had been the night of the last ball, and Estella had made sure that she and her family got back early so that way she could scheme with Harriet. It was made even more important by the fact that Linette had not succeeded in getting the help of anyone.

"Positive," Estella said. "Since I faked a stomach ache last night to get us home earlier, we missed out on the last part of the ball. I'm quite sure Mother will jump at the chance to have both Edina and I be in the public eye, even if it is just for the Prince's Parade."

"So you'll keep her distracted long enough for me to get the attention of the prince?"

"Oh yes, I know just what to do." Harriet frowned slightly at Estella. She could only hope that she actually knew what she was doing. If she didn't, the whole plan could fail. "Wish me luck," Estella whispered as she stepped through the doors of the tea parlor to talk to her mother and sister.

Harriet had half a mind to linger by the door, but she had almost been caught eavesdropping far too many times to want to attempt getting caught when there was so much at stake. Instead, she hurried down to the kitchen to check on James.

While he had woken up a few times in the past day or so, he wasn't exactly lucid. Most of everything he said sounded like complete gibberish, and Harriet was hard pressed to understand a single word he said. When she opened the door, she could see him still lying down by the fire, his whole body tucked under numerous blankets.

Amelia was still sitting with him and looked up when Harriet came into the room.

"Are you waiting for Estella to ask?" Amelia asked, and Harriet nodded. Estella and Harriet had informed Amelia of the plan earlier, and she had no objections, her only worry was that it might not work, but to be fair, that was everyone's worry.

"Yes. I'm still not sure if this is going to work though. Have you talked to Clara today?"

"No," Amelia shook her head, "I know Linette came in earlier and got some food for her." Harriet's face must have shown her surprise because the next thing she knew Amelia was nodding at her. "I thought it was strange too."

"I wonder what her motive is," Harriet said, tapping her chin with one of her fingers, pondering all of the devious plans Linette could be making. Maybe she was planning on poisoning Clara?

"Maybe she was just being nice?" Amelia suggested, her words a stark contrast to Harriet's thoughts. Harriet rolled her eyes at that comment.

"You've been around Clara too much." That was definitely something her older sister would've said. However, Clara wasn't even aware of their plan. Both Estella and Harriet agreed that she wouldn't exactly like the plan, so it would be pointless to tell her.

Harriet was going to make another comment to Amelia, but at that moment, Estella came into the kitchen, a beaming smile on her face.

"It worked! We'll be leaving shortly. Wait a few minutes to follow us. Remember, I'll try to make sure we're by the bakery so that way you can stand outside the bookshop without being in Mother's direct line of sight," Estella said, already walking back out the kitchen door.