6

The main mansion displayed a beautiful neoclassical facade. Inside, it was adorned with framed panels, garlands, bows, and hand-painted medallions. Its collection included furniture in the Louis XV style, as well as porcelain, crystal, bronzes, Persian and French carpets, and paintings by famous artists. The Aclamação Palace in Salvador city served as inspiration for the construction of the mansion. Its architecture contrasted with the picturesque and charming bungalows scattered on the hill behind it. An almost disastrous fire broke out in the east wing on February 1, 1974. Fortunately, it occurred during the low season, and there were not many guests. At that time, the journey to the mainland was more precarious, and there was no fire department on the island. A fire truck was the one that extinguished the fire. Until then, the guests' rooms were inside the mansion. An electrical failure caused the disaster that could have completely destroyed the luxurious hotel. After the renovation, the rooms were transformed into large recreational wings, and the guests began to stay in separate accommodations. Finally, instead of "Hotel Carijós," the initial name in homage to the indigenous people who inhabited the island before Portuguese colonization, it became "Recanto das Trilhas," a reference to the winding paths that lead guests to the 160 bungalows scattered on the Hill of "Saudade".

Salon number 1 was a replica of the Ambassador's Room at the Palace of Queluz in Portugal. The floor was made of square black and white marble tiles, resembling a huge chessboard. The white walls were painted with golden corners and edges. The square columns were covered with mirrors, and there were huge hand-painted canvases on the ceiling, inspired by the work of the Italian painter Giovanni Berard. Enormous Ming Dynasty porcelain vases adorned the place, and in the center of the hall, under a giant Baccarat crystal chandelier manufactured in 1912, there was an all-white grand piano.

"We were downstairs in a room that looked like an Indian hut, and now we're sitting in this exquisite hall, waiting for a Portuguese king to sit down and play the piano while we dine," Demerval said as he sat at the table.

"I noticed the contrast too," Tina said. "But we have to admit, this place is beautiful, isn't it?"

"There are better restaurants in Santo André, especially near the train station."

Tina tried but couldn't help herself; she hung on her husband's arm, laughing, and said, "Shut up."

A lady approached the table with a poodle. She spoke in a hoarse and tired voice, "I saw you walking with your big boy earlier."

"Yes. Actually, it's a female dog. Her name is Friga," Tina said.

"This one's name is Bento. I don't know if you're aware, but we're having an outdoor brunch at 11 o'clock in Vale dos Ipês. We're gathering all our little four-legged angels to make friends. It's a fifteen-minute walk from here, following the Seagulls Lookout trail. I'd love to introduce Bento to Friga."

"Of course. It would be a pleasure," Tina said, petting Bento, who looked like a statue made of white foam. Arrogant, he didn't even wag his tail, just stood still with his nose up. "How old is he?"

"Oh... this one must be about a hundred, you see. Look, he doesn't even move. He just likes to lie down all day. Just like me."

Everyone laughed at the joke.

"You can walk to Vale dos Ipês. They say the view is stunning. Since most of us are almost blowing out the candles, we prefer to go by van. It's a courtesy from the Pousada. The van leaves from the main gate at 10:40. If you want to join us, just leave your name with the girl at the reception."

"Thank you," Tina said with a smile.

"Let's go, Bento. Say goodbye to the lady..."

"Tina. And this is my husband, Demer."