thirteen

"Okay, so, beer, tequila, vodka," Belly spoke up from next to me as we sat in the backseat of Conrad's car.

We were sitting in front of the gas station, the same store that we always stopped at for supplies when we would come to Cousins at the start of the summer.

"Gin," Jere said, "for Skye."

I laughed, "Who drinks gin?"

Conrad looked at the store, "Old people... and Skye."

He seemed a little more upbeat. Steven and I's talk must have worked.

"Alright," he flashed us his fake ID, "I'll take care of this guys," before stepping out of the car.

Waiting for Conrad to come back, I let out a laugh, "I got ten bucks that says the guy realizes he's not from Guam, and Con comes back empty handed."

Just as I finished saying that, Conrad walked out. Empty handed.

"Oh, no!" Jere teased him and Belly and I started dying in the backseat, "What, your ID didn't work, Mr. Herbertson?"

"Fuck off, at least I have one," Conrad flipped us off, hiding his smile.

"Listen, it's cause I don't need one, alright?" Jere said, getting out of the car, "Jumper and I are tight. You know, we're like, bros. Come on, how hard could it be?"

"Oh, look at that face," Conrad teased as Jere walked out empty handed less than a minute later.

"So what," Jere groaned, "Do you want to like pay someone to go and get it for us?"

"We could go to a different store," Conrad suggested.

I snorted, "Yeah, I just don't think that anyone is gonna believe your Guam ID."

Jeremiah laughed and Conrad turned around, mocking me, "I would love to hear your plan Lauren."

I shrugged, "Why don't I just go in, and ask?"

Conrad shook his head, "That's not gonna work."

Jere agreed with him, "Yeah, that's not gonna work."

Belly hit the back of their heads, "Hey, have faith in my girl!"

I shrugged and got out, turning to face Jeremiah and pulling my tank top down a little, pushing my boobs up, sending him a wink.

"Oh, shit," Belly laughed from the backseat, "she's getting ready!"

"Hey, Jumper!" I called walking into the store.

"Hey, Elle," he smiled at me, "I know why you're here."

I let out a dramatic gasp, "You do?"

"You're gonna try to give me a fake ID, or tell me some story about how your mom forgot to buy wine for a dinner party, or something," he sighed.

I shook my head and leaned my elbows down on the counter, giving him doe eyes, "No, no, no, I'm not. I promise."

"Oh?" he asked, obviously into it.

"I'm gonna tell you the truth, and then you can decide if you want to help me out," I rasped my voice to make it sound hotter, "So here's the deal. I've had a really shitty past six weeks."

He nodded, "Yeah, I uh, I heard about their mom. I'm sorry."

"Yeah," I pushed some hair behind my ear, "and I'm sure you heard the house was for sale. It uh, it sold and tonight's our last night there."

"Wow," he let out a breath, "that blows."

"Yeah," I puffed out, "I know. It really, really blows. You know, I just want to have some friends over for a couple beers. I-I mean it might be the last time I see anyone from around here. The last time I see you..."