Chapter 5

I'm so mad I could punch a hole in the wall. This is not what I wanted at all. Yes, I hate home school but that doesn't mean I'm ready for public school just yet. But of course with my mom being my mom she just had to enroll me without my permission.

My mom heaves a deep sigh before speaking."Honey, I'm sorry. I get it you're a little shell shocked but-"
"A little? I'm not just a little shocked, this is a huge change in my life that you're just springing onto me," I interrupt. If she doesn't think I'm going to get at least a little affected by this she's insane.

"I know and I feel terrible now that I didn't tell you in advance. I just wanted to surprise you,"

"You know I hate surprises," I mutter, almost to myself. I hear my mom sigh yet again so I know she must've heard me.

"I hate to be annoying but we're going to be late for our meeting with the administration if we don't get inside now," My mom whispers , breaking the tension between us. I roll my eyes and follow her through the steel double doors, my arms crossed at my chest.

As we pass walk through the lengthy hallways my mom tries to make small talk, "I saw this school was top-rated in the state," Like I care, I think to myself. We pass by a huge display case, trophies lining the shelves. There are gray steel lockers everywhere we turn. The brick walls are a boring off-white with no sort of color at all. Way more boring than my old high school. Which I only ever experienced the first year and a half of before shit with Poppy happened.

"Here we are," My mom stops in front of a mahogany wood door that looks decades old. She checks her watch to make sure we're not late. "Yay, we're three minutes early,"
"Then let's wait out here," I say.

"No, it's always better to be early to a meeting rather than on time," My mom explains.
"Ugh," I groan.

She opens the door against my will and leads me inside a small office containing a wood desk and three leather chairs. In the one behind the desk there sits a middle aged woman with dark hair and round frame reading glasses. She pauses her typing when she sees us and closes her laptop.

"Good to see you two, Tiffany and Ivy," She greets us, facing to first my mom and then me. We take ours seats across from her and my mom immediately starts talking.
"I'm so thrilled for Ivy to have an opportunity here at this school," She begins, "i'm excited for her to make friends and enter the real world again,"

At this the principal beams and opens her mouth to respond. I tune out right after those words from my mom. The whole meeting went by in a jumbled up blur, meeting my guidance counselor, getting assigned a locker, figuring out my schedule. I don't care for any of it. My first day of school starts in two days and I bet it's going to go by the same way this meeting did, in a blur.

Me and my mom walk out as soon as I hear the loud speaker announce dismissal time. What a coincidence. As the entire student body walks past us I could see most of them snickering with their group of friends beside them. Some redhead girl looks me up and down with a dirty look on her face, not even trying to hide the fact that she thinks of me as a loser. Not that it bothers me. I'm not looking to make friends here.

We finally get to our car and as we drive off away from the school my mom starts chatting even more. She seems to adore the principal and the entire administration there, she couldn't stop talking about how sweet they are when walking through the hall. She's way more excited about this than me she might as well be the one going to Redwood High in a few days. I'm dreading it.

Suddenly, one of my mom's rambling sentences registers with me, "So, I saw Ryan in the hall," My breathe catches in my throat as soon as I hear her. "He seems like he's doing well," My mom continues.
"Why the hell would you bring Ryan up right now?" I questioned her, my voice coming out icy sharp.

"Ivy, don't be dramatic, he's probably changed," She better be joking, 'changed?' I don't think so. What he did was unforgivable.
"How do you know that? Have you been talking to him or something?" I interrogate.

"Oh come on Ivy, you know I follow his mom on Facebook, he seems to be doing better," she explains, "I just like to see the best in people,"
"Yeah, well he doesn't have any good in him,"

"I guess you're right, I know how much he hurt you and Poppy," She realizes. He did really hurt Poppy and me. Mostly Poppy but me by default, anyone who hurts her is an enemy of mine. She was his first victim of Ryans sick game. He took advantage of her and stalked her like he did to many other girls in our school afterwards. Poppy slowly fell in love with him and Ryan let her believe he did too. I always had a feeling he was trouble but I never told her since I didn't want to ruin her relationship. She had so much hope for it and that was the worst part. I feel so guilty now for not telling her, then none of this would've happened.

Ryan got expelled a few months after Poppy died, around the same time I started home school. The school administration found out about what he was doing. His two other friends that took some part in it got expelled as well. I can't believe they are allowed to be at this school now, they don't deserve to get any education at all.

My mom pulls into the driveway of our simple two story house and I let out a yawn of exhaustion. I'm so tired after all of this all I want to do is lay down and take a long nap. My mom opens my car door for me and when I jump out the first thing I see makes my jaw drop all the way to the ground.

"Fancy seeing you here, Ivy," Ryan says through a sinister smirk, standing right in the middle of my driveway.

hii guys! sorry this chapter took kinda long to be released but hope you guys liked it and liked the cliffhanger. thank you for almost 100 votes on this story, im so happy. thanks for reading!

- mari 💜🩷