Chapter 8

I stare at Ryan, my heart pounding with fear. He seems speechless and so am I. My hands drop to my sides and I shrug nonchalantly.

"I randomly found it yesterday in my house, I was just seeing if you had any thoughts about it," I explained, playing it off. "I didn't mean to startle you or anything," He blinks and loosens up a little.

"Oh, well I don't know what that could be about but it's weird that it has my name on it," He's lying through his teeth, he knows exactly what it's about. Does he really think I'm that stupid?

"Yep," I pretend to agree. He stops in front of a light brown wood door to the right side of the hall. Before he pulls open the handle he turns to face me with a half smile.

"Ready to go in?" He asks, as if he's unsure the answer will be a yes.

"Why not? It's just homeroom, I've done this before," I assure him, for whatever reason. His eyebrows perk up in a stunned expression.

"Ok, well just brace yourself, you're going to want to," I shoot him a bemused look. Why exactly would I need to brace my- My thoughts were cut off when Ryan and me stepped into the classroom. We were greeted with brewing fist fights, students hurling chairs, and a kid at the front of the room, mocking a teacher. It was chaotic, to say the least.

Our homeroom teacher, who was supposedly Mrs. Cline according to my schedule, was nowhere in sight. What is wrong with this damn school?

Somehow, all the chaos went to a halt when we walked in. The room was silent for a good twenty seconds. That was until the boy playing teacher walked up to Ryan and fist bumped him.

"What's up Ryan, who's this chick?" He asked, looking me up and down. When he said this the entire room turned their heads to evaluate me. Ugh, first impressions suck.

"Probably his new girl!" Someone from the crowd behind us yelled out. I rolled my eyes and fought the urge to gag myself.

"Ha, good one Trent," Guy 1 chuckled at the same time a few others did. I wanted to knock each one of them out. Ryan laughed along with them while I stood there looking awkward. Although, I couldn't help but notice that his laughter looked a little strained.

"Sorry, I forgot to introduce her, this is Ivy, the new girl I've been talking about," He presents me to the teacher mocker guy. The rest of the crowd seemed to tune out, too wrapped up in their own things to notice us. Thank goodness. The one thing that makes my stomach drop though is the fact that Ryan has 'been talking about me.'

"Hey, I'm Brandon," He greets me, "so please clarify for me, you and Ryan are, like, a thing?" Brandon finishes, mockingly. What a douchebag. I take in his look for a minute, he's your typical teenage wannabe skater boy. Dark disheveled hair, black beanie, a scowl plastered on his face. I take a deep breath and fill myself with all the confidence I could muster.

"Actually no, but it does seem like you're really close with that chemistry teacher you just couldn't stop talking about," I bounce back at him. For a second, I see him fluster. He gulps and takes a step back.

"Damn, chill out, I was just joking," I roll my eyes and stomp over to a open seat at the far side of the third row.

He takes a seat nearby and I hear him mutter under his breath, "Seems like I hit a soft spot with that," I give him the finger right when Ryan starts to speak up from behind me.

"Give it a rest dude, honestly," He comments, defending me.

"Whatever," Brandon says just as the teacher finally enters, putting an end to this stupid conversation. It took her long enough.

"Okay, party's over everyone," Mrs. Cline announces and suddenly the class goes silent. One kid even pauses abruptly with his chair half raised in the air.

"Put the chair on the ground please, Joseph," Mrs Cline reprimands him, sounding so done with her life. Joseph puts his chair down and automatically sits in it, not skipping a beat.

"Ok, you guys know the rules, you can talk just don't bother me," Mrs. Cline seems to not be aware of the new student in the class, so I luckily got out of making another first impression.

I was planning on taking a nap in the little time I had before the bell rang. But before I could lay my head in my arms the girl sitting next to me tapped me on the shoulder.

"Hey, Ivy right?" She asked in which I responded with a simple nod. "Just ignore all those dumbasses, they really have no life," After hearing just that I already knew I was going to like this girl.

"You can say that again, I didn't think rejoining public school would be this bad," I said, then automatically realized how snotty I sounded.

"Actually, sorry I phrased that wrong, I was just scared to come back to public school after a while of being homeschooled," I clarified, hopefully now I'm not coming off as much like a bitch.

"It's totally fine, I get what you mean, I'm Ashley by the way," She introduced herself. Ashley was extremely gorgeous. She had long brown hair that looked like it had natural highlights and wore a cute halter neck top with jean shorts.

"Your outfit is so cute," I compliment her. It's been a while since I've socialized with people my age but I know that compliments always work.

"Aww thanks, I love your skirt," Wow, I don't think anyone's ever complimented me on my fashion choices. I must've done something right this morning.

I thank her and before we could continue our conversation, the bell loudly chimes. Everyone jumps out of their seats and clumps up near the door. I wave to Ashley, silently praying I have more classes with her, and join the rest of them.

Right as I'm exiting the words of someone behind me stop me in my tracks.

"Let's hope you have Poppy in your next class," I turn around to see Brandon, with an enormous smirk taking up half his face.

What.

The.

Fuck.

heyy guys, hope you enjoyed this chapter. i hate how short it is but whatever i guess. as you can probably tell i love ending with cliffhangers lol! anyways bye!

- mari 💜🩷