|| C H A P T E R . 5 ||

Family should've gotten along quite nicely when they meet again and hold their tongues for the bitter truths to keep them together like in Tyler Perry movies before they reveal family secrets once everything has fallen apart.

But we were not that family anyone can relate to.

Through the burning day and starry night, the three, Simone, André, and Jewelz argued to their beds that evening. Simone being the bratty one of the bunch, complained and whined about why she had to be here with us as Andre and Jewelz bumped heads a few times on who should be responsible for looking after the little ones.

"You know nothing about kids, they're not even yours!"

"Who said they were mine though? Who said?"

"You can't even calm down your own sister over here!"                                   

Sneaking away from their sudden bickering and slick quarrels, I headed to another day of work at White Marbles and was prepared for the verbal scold attacks I was about to receive and slow shifts.

Coming back for a second day or another one to be a server at White Marbles was truly a blessing. I doubted many people actually received a call back to allow someone like me to continue working there after that incident I hate bringing up because it's embarrassing. I told Jewelz about it and she laughed.

Sighing at hopeless thoughts, the little bell ringer by the restaurant door tuned them out. Several adults that had an early dew morning job grouped in rectangular tables with crisp dull suits on and shiny dress shoes. Spoons and forks serenely clattered on the square porcelains with ornate meals and lips smacking the sweet taste off their fingers.

"Sup." Connie said tonelessly looking at me and flipped the money in between her fingers, counting the amount like last time.

"The boss said she'll talk to you later on, but who knows when that'll happen. She can't even remember her own anniversary or birthday."

Connie pushed herself off the counter and left me to my will once a customer came up to her.

I rubbed the back of my neck and got to work knowing the boss wanted to talk about the prank or joke from yesterday but honestly, I would like to move on and forget I ever happened. No need to beat around the bush about it.

I tied the strings from the little black apron around my waist twice and grabbed a dirty towel to wipe down the area where bits of crumbs and ripped napkins lie off the counter from earlier.

Orders went by rather quickly, not many customers coming in during the day which is how I liked it.

No impatient customers and snobby employees catching attitudes.

I thought the work shift was going to turn out decent until my eyes did a triple take at who entered the restaurant door.

Hey, It was the stupid idiot who was trying to be funny but really wasn't so I got mad at him guy.

He seemed pretty determined walking directly to the counter with purpose. My hands slowly stopped scrubbing the filth and watched as he glanced at his surroundings on his right side, his feet gliding across the floor, one step after the other. He slightly leaned forward and his arms lightly swung by his side to add to this intimidation.

The guy practically slid in the black stool across from me and rested his elbows on the table to hold up his posture.

My eyebrows tweaked up in a quick rose at his approach and I waited for that miracle to happen.

He was either contemplating whether or not to say anything or regretted sitting here in the first place.

"Look," he slowly accumulated, "You...um...seemed," he stretched, "pretty pissed that day."