two

Karina was pacing out in her bedroom, sometimes walking in a circle out of horror and disbelief. Her hands ran through her hair in distraught.

"Is this my fate?"

"With Winter Kim?"

"Out of all people on earth, why must it be Winter Kim?"

The gods sure are laughing to her face right now, and the alien and the unknown creature who left the book for her generation must think that this is some sort of joke.

She held the sacred book in her hands, opening a page with unreadable text before she let out her anger on the innocent paper.

"Are you kidding me?", she shouted.

"I supposed to hate her. Now, you tell me that I can read her mind because she is my destiny? She is my fate? Winter Kim is?", Karina scoffed in annoyance.

"You must be joking!", she slammed the book on her bed before groaning in agony in her hands.

"I think you make a mistake this time. It wasn't Winter Kim, is it? My person is still out there, waiting for me to find her, right?", Karina lies down on her bed.

"But she's cute, tho. I'm not gonna lie..."

"No! Of course not! It must be another person than Winter Kim. There's no way my fate is with her! It's just impossible! I don't want to be with her!", the girl kicked her legs in the air before turning around, let out another angry shout on her pillow out loud.

The Yu girl then turns to the front again, slapping her cheeks gently with her hands, trying to bring herself to reality.

"Yeah. This must be a mistake. It wasn't Winter Kim. I must have some sort of special powers that I can read more than one people mind! Yeah! That must be it!"

****

"It's impossible, honey", her mom could only laugh hearing her daughter's complains and banter.

"But-"

"Karina, you are the fourty-nine Yu. The other forty-eight Yu, including me, could only read one people mind. It is impossible for you to read more than one", this time her dad laughing along her mom.

"But- It's Winter Kim! I don't like Winter Kim! I hate her every time my professor mentioned her name in class!", Karina groans in frustration.

"Well, not every Yu is happy when they first time found their chosen one", her dad let out a tiny scoff. "When I found out that your mother is the person I'm looking for, I was scared. Not like you, because you hated your person", her dad laughs again.

"I'm scared of your mom. She's known as the most scary student inside the school. I tried to ignore her every time I saw her, but then her mind kept calling out for me. When I can hear everything, how can I ignore her, right?", Mr Yu nodded her head as she gently taps the shoulder of Mrs Yu.

"You'll be just fine, honey. Trust your fate. I'm sure that this Winter Kim is a good person for you", her mom smiled towards Karina, trying to cheer up their only child.

"Oh god. I can't believe this is happening to me..."

****

A new week started, and after got to know who's the person Karina was destined to be in her ill-fated journey, her father had told her about the ten meter rules.

As long as Winter is in ten meter radius from Karina, she could hear her mind.

Karina strongly told herself that she wants to avoid this ill-fated journey of her at all cost, and so if she ever encounter Winter anywhere, she would run away for better life rather than hearing the other girl's mind.