three

Winter was brought to the college infirmary right after, and Karina was there for her all the time, wondering what actually was going on. There's a lot inside her head right now.

How and why did Winter get into that situation?

Also, how and why did she could hear Professor Shim's voice for a moment, but later couldn't anymore?

She takes a mind note on that to ask her father later.

Looking back at Winter, the doctor said she just needs some rest, nothing serious that could affect her physically. But when the nurses treated Winter, they said they were surprised at Winter's condition.

There's various marks visible on the girl's back, all this time hidden with her clothes. Karina was shocked at first when she saw the bruise all over Winter's back.

When the doctor came back, he had told her that Winter might have been abused for a while.

Suddenly, Karina remembered the first time she heard Winter's tiny voice inside her head back in the washroom.

She said if she screwed up, they might let her stay outside for the night.

She asked herself if they would hate it.

The question is, who are they? And what is it?

Karina ruffled her own hair into a mess. Who knows her fate and destiny was this complicated. Who knows that Winter is troubled with something, and she hides it all these times. Who knows that Karina needs to deal with all of this.

"Karina...", Winter's voice brought back Karina's attention to the girl's figure on the bed.

Winter was watching her intently with her tiny smile, and Karina could see that bruise at the corner of her lips. She got so many things to ask, but she knew that she might discover it herself soon.

She can read Winter's mind after all.

"Why did he do that to you, Winter?", Karina let out a heavy sigh.

"It's okay. He's arrested anyway. There's nothing more to discuss-"

"You didn't answer my question", Karina said strongly. "How can you be your major top student when you couldn't answer a simple question?", Karina groans.

Winter didn't answer her, nor did she say anything inside her mind. Karina is desperate for an answer, but she can wait. But when Winter was smiling at her with that tiny smile again, Karina couldn't lie that her heart started to break.

"Winter... I'm trying to help you. You need to tell me-"

"When I'm ready, I will", Winter cut her immediately. "I will. Soon".

"Winter-"

"I'm sorry, Karina. I couldn't tell you, now", Winter smiled again, and she looked hella pathetic in Karina's eyes. She hates it when Winter doesn't speak a word inside her mind as well. Karina was lwft clueless with no answer. She has no clue.

What has been Winter Kim hiding behind her cute daily figure?

****

"Dad, I met Winter", Karina simply said as she sat right next to her father on their couch. "She scared me", she continued.

"So, she's a scary person like your mom?", her father sneered.

"No, I didn't mean it like that", playful sneer has been answered with a heavy sigh. "Her situation scared me".

The older one put his tv show on a pause and turned his body towards his daughter with a concerned expression, "What happened?", he asks as he grabs one of Karina's hands.